Suspended white ufo's in capped bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apec+1

Reaction score
I am 6 or 8 brews in and I'm brewing pail ale. At the end of the fermentation I'm gravity feeding the brew through a 1 micron filter into bottles and adding 2 coopers carbonation drops and then capping. I have a few questions about this 1st one is will I still get carbonated beer if I have filtered pre bottle? 2nd I have white floaties in some of the batches that I can't identify ill try to attach a picture for any suggestion 3rd what I have tasted so far it has quite a fruity flavor after using the carb drops but if I force carb and dont use the carb drops it taste great could my filtering be affecting the flavour?
Thanks in advance.

image-1457834296.jpg

I am 6 or 8 brews in and I'm brewing pail ale. At the end of the fermentation I'm gravity feeding the brew through a 1 micron filter into bottles and adding 2 coopers carbonation drops and then capping. I have a few questions about this 1st one is will I still get carbonated beer if I have filtered pre bottle? 2nd I have white floaties in some of the batches that I can't identify ill try to attach a picture for any suggestion 3rd what I have tasted so far it has quite a fruity flavor after using the carb drops but if I force carb and dont use the carb drops it taste great could my filtering be affecting the flavour?

image-2071456985.jpg

If you're gravity feeding the filter, how are you avoiding oxygenation? What type of filter do you have? That definitely could be the source of off-flavors. With a 1 micron filter, you aren't filtering out yeast so the beer would still carb.

A "fruity" off flavor usually is from a too warm fermentation temperature, though, and not from oxidation.

I have a hose comes off the bottom of the brewing barrel down to the filter, purge the air and then the out line continues to my bottling wand straight into the bottle with the awaiting carb drops. This may be totally wrong way of going about it? Only 2 batches have these white ufo's but otherwise the rest are very clear. Brew temp is maintained at 25c during the 1st stage, during bottle conditioning I just left them in my garage where it can get quiet warm and light(not direct sunlight) the fruity flavor isn't sour it is still easily drinkable and after refrigerating it all the ufo's have dropped to the base of the bottle. Don't know if I should be drinking them or avoiding them totally or just taking off the top of the bottles and tipping the rest? I would hate to tip it but don't wanna get sick from it either.

image-4124524594.jpg

I also filled soda stream bottles with the same brew then force carbed them and it tasted great no fruity flavor at all. I thought maybe it was the coopers carb drops adding this flavor and was hoping it would dissipate over time?

image-583164604.jpg

Not a very good picture, but 99% of the time, little white floaties are yeast rafts. Perfectly normal and no big deal. If the beer smells or tastes sour, then you have to start thinking infection, but as long as it smells fine and your hydrometer sample tastes kinda like beer, you are good.

As far as the filter, yeast typically range in size between 1-3 microns, so you really want to use a 3+ micron filter if you are going to filter your beer. You will likely have carbing issues with a 1 micron filter. The pros recommend using a 7 micron filter followed by a 3 micron filter.

Why are you filtering it? You realize you are going to have a yeast cake in your beer no matter what if you bottle. It's necessary to carbing and conditioning.

I can see filtering a kegged beer, but there's not much of a point to filtering a bottled beer, IMO. There are easier ways to achive clarity.

The white floaties are yeast.

If the beer is carbonating properly then you are not completely filtering out the yeast. As for the flavor its hard to say as the method of carbonating should not alter the flavor. when you say force carb do you mean in a keg?

My other concern is that your method of getting the beer into the bottles may be introducing O2 which would cause the beer to rapidly oxidize and that would not be good. You should be using a bottling wand that allows you to fill the bottle from the bottom up so no O2 is introduced and any gas in the bottle is forced out as the bottle fills.

Wait.. 2 coopers carb drops?? These normal sized beers or those plastic coopers bombers?

For a normal 12oz bottle it's one coopers drop. I use them all the time.

I am using a bottling wand into 750mm bottles. I didn't know I would still have s yeast cake in the bottles no matter what ( I understand why now) as for the force carb I am using a soda stream made for carbing water in 1 liter bottles.

Back