suspended threads in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawnnyO

Reaction score
Hi. I have made three brews so far. The first I had a lot of help from this forum and it went pretty well, but I didn't add enough maple syrup at bottling so there wasn't much head. The second went pretty well. was a little rough after two weeks in the bottle, but now is three weeks and is smoothing out. The third is in the carboy and was ready to bottle last week. I added the gelatin on Friday and was going to bottle Saturday. I was unable to bottle until today. when I looked at the carboy There are some small bubbles on top and a lot of about 1/2 inch thin threads coming down from the top. I am afraid this is mould and do not want to bottle unless advised it is okay, or there is something I can do to remedy it. I sanitised everything. At least I thought I did. Any help? Thanks. John

OK, great, here are two pix. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3322 (1).JPG
    IMG_3322 (1).JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3323 (1).JPG
    IMG_3323 (1).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 60
okay great, I'll bottle today. Will this settle out in the bottle? I thought the gelatin was supposed to sink those. They came after I put the gelatin in. Did I wait too long to bottle? Thanks for the reassurance

Did you use the recommended procedure for gelatin use? Did you bloom it and add below 50 degrees? It works better that way.

No I hadn't learned that procedure. It was around 70F when I put it in, and I just put it in. I will read up on proper gelitanising for next batch. Thanks for the heads up

Latest posts

Back