Survey: Whats your brew pot size and do you use all of it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple brew pots. The 16 gallon bayou classic can do up to a 12 gallon (into the fermenter) beer with a 60 minute boil. I've got another 25 gallon pot that I use for 10+ gallons of 90 minute boil and have done a 15 gallon batch with tons of head space to prevent boil overs.

I've got a 20 gallon SS Brewtech Infussion mash tun that's good for full volume mashes for 12 gallon batches up to 1.05-ish and batch sparging up to 1.100. This works well for just about everything I want to do.

Hey folks. Started doing BIAB after having a 15 year hiatus. I have an all grain keggle set-up but looking to downsize my system. I’d rather do up to 3 gallons since I’m moving away from 5+ gallons. I do like the smaller sized equipment and that I can brew in the kitchen vs only outdoor brew. Anyone else here downsizing? Any kettles recommend? Any regrets? It seems silly to do a 3 gallon brew in a 15 gallon keggle. Thanks all!

I do 2 1/2 gallon BIAB on my kitchen stove with a 5 gallon stainless steel pot. It gets pretty close to the top so if you can manage it a slightly bigger pot would be better.

I do 2 1/2 gallon BIAB on my kitchen stove with a 5 gallon stainless steel pot. It gets pretty close to the top so if you can manage it a slightly bigger pot would be better.
That’s about the footprint I want in my kitchen but thinking 7.5-8 gallon kettle but with a diameter between 12-13 inches. Seriously looking at the Anvil 7.8 since my canning pot is ridiculously huge. Big enough to scorch my stove top. There’s a good 5 inch overhang with it. I’ve never purchased a decent brew kettle (only keggels) but want to invest wisely this time around for small batches inside. It’s great to read everyone’s setup variations.

I have used a 7 1/2 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot and it works fine...except that it just clears the range hood, making it difficult to remove the bag or do any sparge additions.

Hey folks. Started doing BIAB after having a 15 year hiatus. I have an all grain keggle set-up but looking to downsize my system. I’d rather do up to 3 gallons since I’m moving away from 5+ gallons. I do like the smaller sized equipment and that I can brew in the kitchen vs only outdoor brew. Anyone else here downsizing? Any kettles recommend? Any regrets? It seems silly to do a 3 gallon brew in a 15 gallon keggle. Thanks all!

If your up for selling the 15 let me know.

60qt/15 gal lobster pot I got at walmart cheap.
I only do 5 gallon biab cause trying to lift more than 7 gals of boiling wort+grain off my stove so I can put it on the floor to hang the bag/cage from a ladder to drain probably won't end well for me. :)

The pot in my basement for the e-biab setup i'm building is almost 20 gals and I plan on doing 10 gal batches because I have enough room and the hood vent won't be 5 inches from the top of the pot.

If your up for selling the 15 let me know.

If I were anywhere near your area in TN then I would really consider it. Friends are trying to convince me to keep them in case I have the urge to big brew again. If you are around Seattle anytime and want to pick them up then you’re more than welcomed to PM me.

I have used a 7 1/2 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot and it works fine...except that it just clears the range hood, making it difficult to remove the bag or do any sparge additions.

Since my last post I’ve been been back and forth with either a 7.5 gallon Anvil because I like the 12.5 inch diameter. Or a 10 gallon Spike because there is a configuration where the thermometer is horizontally in line with the spigot so I can do small to 5 gallon batches. It’s diameter is 13.5 which my indoor stove can handle. My old canning kettle is nearly 17 inches in diameter. I’ve been measuring my choices for the clearance space. Fortunately my range hood gives me quite a bit of clearance. So back to obsessing over which one. Hope you folks are having a good brew day or cracking open one of your brews. Cheers!

I brew stovetop BIAB with a 25 gallon Concord stainless kettle. I put a ball valve on it. I usually do 10 gallon batches, but just did my first 15 gallon 0.06 OG IPA today with full boil volume during mash. Only had a couple inches to top after it all went in for mash. Kettle fits on the big BTU burner on corner of stove plus the small one in back and the long skillet burner in the middle. Got a ratchet pulley with bag from Wilser. I put a strong hook in my ceiling.
I use a 10 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot for 5 gal batches.
IMG_9979.jpg

Last edited:
I brew stovetop BIAB with a 25 gallon Concord stainless kettle. I put a ball valve on it. I usually do 10 gallon batches, but just did my first 15 gallon 0.06 OG IPA today with full boil volume during mash. Only had a couple inches to top after it all went in for mash. Kettle fits on the big BTU burner on corner of stove plus the small one in back and the long skillet burner in the middle. Got a ratchet pulley with bag from Wilser. I put a strong hook in my ceiling.
I use a 10 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot for 5 gal batches.
View attachment 559741

25 gallon stove top kettle for a 15 gal batch, very impressive.

And here is to those that said it couldn’t be done....cheers and thanks!!!

Extra points for the step ladder in the background lol

I have a 25 gallon 3 vessel. I boil 14g normally but have done up to 21g a few times.

25 gallon stove top kettle for a 15 gal batch, very impressive.

And here is to those that said it couldn’t be done....cheers and thanks!!!

Extra points for the step ladder in the background lol

My plan was to make the Concord into an electric BIAB brew kettle, but we got a new gas range at the same time I ordered the kettle and bag/ratchet pulley. I tried it on the new range and realized I didn’t need to go electric. Brew day is under five hours with that range. Helped that I have a real exhaust fan that actually vents outside. Wouldn’t do big batches indoors otherwise.

I love the bag you made. I need to order a backup in case I do something stupid to my big one. Couldn’t brew big batches without it.

Back