Surface mount RTD’s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syn

Reaction score
Has anyone used or had luck with surface mount RTD’s on a glass carboy which control a fermenting fridge? Wasn’t sure if it was wiser to use RTD probes which go inside the wort vs surface on the glass? I figured there would be a good average between surface and inside the wort? Maybe someone could enlighten this.

Absolutely. If you’ll insulate over it ( I use a couple layers of reflectix attached the painters tape. I logged the internal temp and the surface mounted probe and found very little difference except during the peak of fermentation and that was still only a degree or so. It wasn’t enough for me to go to the added trouble of thermowells or added risk of infection dropping the probe itself in.

I always use contact probes on the outside of ferm vessels and kegs, it works fine if two criteria are met: solid contact and excellent thermal isolation. I use an inch thick closed cell foam pad and a velcro strap to pin the probe to the vessel wall and it works very well indeed.

I get the thought that a thermo-well'd probe in theory should be even more accurate - but otoh, they're usually spotted in the middle of a vessel a long way from the area of actual influence (the wall) so imo it's pretty much a toss-up which actually is more representative of what's going on.

Not having to deal with a potential infection vector is no small deal, either...

Cheers!

Thanks for replies fellas! Makes me feel better about this choice of control. If y’all are interested, I’m using Red Lion TMPRT001 surface mount RTD’s. A way cheaper option than similar products. Thanks again.

Back