Supplemental heating element you can recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put together a HotRod from Brewhardware.com. Super easy to put together and should last for quite some time. He also sells all stainless elements.

I use this on a 20 amp circuit with a GCI outlet. To heat my strike water I run it through a STC-1000 and set it for 156F or so. Then I pull it out for the mash (BIAB) and use my burner to manage mash temp if needed. After pulling the grain bag I plop it back in (no STC) and then pull it out right before boil. I've used it 5 or 6 times now I think with no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO8FY68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put together a HotRod from Brewhardware.com. Super easy to put together and should last for quite some time. He also sells all stainless elements.

funny you said that, I actually live relatively close to their new retail store, and have stopped by there to pick up a bunch of stuff and to meet Bobby. He is super nice and helpful, and actually showed me the parts for the HotRod. I sent him an email over the weekend, requesting a possible build out for one. My concern is whether, with the lower watt attachment to the HotRod, it will be too wide for what I need it for. But I should hear back from him shortly hopefully.

(p.s. - for all those looking to get new gear, brewhardware.com is awesome, and they are super helpful over there, plus really nice home store if you are in the area=).

funny you said that, I actually live relatively close to their new retail store, and have stopped by there to pick up a bunch of stuff and to meet Bobby. He is super nice and helpful, and actually showed me the parts for the HotRod. I sent him an email over the weekend, requesting a possible build out for one. My concern is whether, with the lower watt attachment to the HotRod, it will be too wide for what I need it for. But I should hear back from him shortly hopefully.

(p.s. - for all those looking to get new gear, brewhardware.com is awesome, and they are super helpful over there, plus really nice home store if you are in the area=).

Wish i was there, being in Oregon it sucks ordering from way over there, but i still do it ;)
Then again i have dirt cheap grain and hops locally lol

I use this on a 20 amp circuit with a GCI outlet. To heat my strike water I run it through a STC-1000 and set it for 156F or so. Then I pull it out for the mash (BIAB) and use my burner to manage mash temp if needed. After pulling the grain bag I plop it back in (no STC) and then pull it out right before boil. I've used it 5 or 6 times now I think with no issues.

Just a heads up. I bought two of these awhile back, maybe octoberish. I used one about 4-5 times, and another about 6-7 times. The 4-5 times one has completely melted through the plastic base, it seems the wires they used are too thin of a gauage and overheat and melt the plastic at these long of usage times.

The 6-7 times one has melted slightly, but is still somewhat in tact. I don't use either one of these anymore unless I have to in order to get it to a boil.

I used to recommend these all the times, as they were super cheap and pretty effective. However the fact that it uses a really unhealthy plastic (known carcinogen), and has melted on me (I dumped the wort I made with it when I noticed it melted), I no longer recommend these water heaters.

Just an FYI, be careful using this with an stc 1000. They're only rated for 10 amps and if this heater is truly 1350 watts, it's gonna be pulling over 12 amps. I melted the power cord to my stc controller using a heater similar to this.

When I built mine I used an appliance power cord rated for 15 amps. Not a light duty extension cord. 12 gauge wire for the internals as well.

Folks have disassembled them and found the relays are actually rated for 15 amps. But yeah, the safe bet is to be conservative.

Back