Super Bitter Finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkauffman

Reaction score
So I'm still new to brewing and just opened up my 6th batch. It has a delicious start, but a terribly bitter finish. I love the beer and would really like to try it again. I use star-san for sterilization. Here's the recipe, is there anything I could do to fix this?

Thanks!!

6 lb Light DME
1/2 lb Crystal Malt 80L
1/2 lb Crystal Malt 150L
1/2 Ounce Cascade 60 Min
1 Ounce Cascade 30 Min
1/2 Ounce Cascade 10 Min
1 Ounce Cascade Dry
White Labs Pitchable California Ale Yeast

Based on the hop additions, there is no reason it should be that harshly bitter, which leads me to believe it's an oxidation problem (sometimes oxidation produces a cardboard aroma/taste, sometimes a harsh bitterness). How long has this batch been sitting around? Did you rack to a secondary, or splash during bottling or anything that might introduce excessive oxygen into the beer?

Bitter is a subjective term. With 3 oz. of Cascade this should not even slighty resemble a sweet beer, it should be hoppy, and bitter. A nice Pale Ale.

Cascade ranges in A/A 5-8% ... if you had a good batch it may be more bitter than expected.

I bet I would taste it and love it.

I hadn't thought about the water, up until this batch we were using Culligan. We canceled the service and went tap. Next brew I'll try buying water.

I understand that Pale Ale is bitter and I love Pale Ales, but this has a truly terrible finish.

The water is a good point. Your local water authority should have mineral analysis info online, or you can request it by mail. If you get your hands on it, post it. Or, if you live in a major metropolitan area, brewsmith has standard water profiles for many US cities.

How long has it been in bottles/keg?
Hop bitterness can be a bit overpowering with a green beer, but mellows considerably with a bit of aging.

-a.

Back