Super bitter after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric87

Reaction score
Hey guys I just finished an nepia and it’s my first one. It’s in bottles now still carbing up it’s been two days but, I decided to pop one open and try it but it has a super bitter aftertaste. Could this be because it’s super young? It smells fantastic no off smell at all just super bitter. Any info at all would be much appreciated.

Meh. Give it two more weeks before you try another one. Unless you need those bottles empty today. If it is improved but still not satisfactory, give it two more additional weeks. Be sure to refrigerate for a few days before drinking. If it is too cold for your taste, let it warm up, but chill it good in the fridge first before drinking or long term storage.

Let it settle down a bit, a lot of flavors meld and smooth out while and after conditioning. Fear not.

Bitterness perception in beer differs person to person. I have a high tolerance for bitterness, I drink hoppy beers and don’t even think about it.

I hand the same beer to my wife and she whines “it’s too bitter, I don’t like it, can you finish this?”

Go back to your box wine! … Wives…

Last edited:
^what they said. I'm fairly confident that most of this harsh bitterness is due to hopburn, i.e. lots of yeast and fine dry hop matter being still in suspension in your beer. Give it at least another 10 days to settle. In my admittedly still limited experience bottle conditioning this style, it is best at 3-4 weeks from bottling date.

Last edited:
My first beer was overly bitter as well. In my case, I didn't follow the instructions properly. I went whole hog on my first brew pot and got the Megapot 15 gallon because I thought boiling full batches was the only way to go.

I didn't know anything about hop utilization, so I used the full amount of hops for a partial boil in my full boil. Then to make things worse I decided to make my DME addition way late in the boil. I got all the goodie out of those hops, but man was it bitter. I even dry-hopped in the keg to get a little extra hop character so it at least tasted like an IPA.

That one never did calm down. It improved slightly over the next month I suppose, but my brewing notes stated "it's not something I would re-create, or purchase if it was something I sampled."

Eventually, the keg blew and it was all gone. I learned a lot from that first batch.

Back