Sunny boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpipebrewer

Reaction score
Ok...this may be a silly question, but here goes... We all know about light struck beers, but does the sun affect boils in the same way? I'm now boiling a double IPA on my back porch and the Tx sun just rained down on my kettle. Any thoughts? I tend to think that it's no worries, but I thought I'd ask...
Thanks!

Yes, I have thought about this too since my kettle is near the window of my garage. I think it must cause some skunking of the hops but I have never detected it in the finished beer.

I do my boils on a south-facing deck that gets full Colorado sun. I started shading the brewpot about a year ago, just to be on the safe side. I prop up a piece of plywood on a lounge chair.

I would think one explanation would be the relatively benign nature of sunlight in comparison to 200+ degree temperatures that are achieved in boiling, sugary wort. I certainly don't worry about it at all.

Back