sun while fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogbog

Reaction score
hello,

I actually have a bottle of sugar and prunes fermenting with yeast I cultivated myself from prunes.
It's the first time I try to make alcohol and I'm asking myself where to store my bottle while fermentation. I only found informations about temperature influence, but what about the sun? Is it better to put the bottle in the dark or near a window?

thanks

I don't know anything about fermenting prunes, but light produces off-flavors in beer. I'd keep it in the dark.

I know that certain wavelengths of light can have a negative effect on hop compounds after isomerization.

I have no idea how sunlight affects a fruit wine (or PRUNO, in this case.)

Without hops it should be fine in the light, but maybe not. A dark shirt or towel wrapped around the bottle will solve the problem though, so id do that for safety. There is no positive reason to put it in the light.

I agree with giraffe.
I once fermented some mead in the summer sunlight outside and it turned out supurb. But that could be because i was fermenting champagne yeast which needs a high temperature to ferment properly.
I would research the light sensitivity of the specific yeast strain youre using but in my experience temperature is far more important than light.

What I've heard is that direct sunlight can harm the yeast. The UV radiation in sunlight can cause genetic mutations in them. It shouldn't be a problem in a single batch. But if you start harvesting yeast for later use, after several generations the yeast won't be the same as you started with. Maybe it's a good change, maybe it's a bad change, but they will change.

Sunlight reacts negatively with red wine, so it may do a similar thing with prunes.

Fermentation is exothermic, so once it starts going you can wrap it in a jumper and it will generate some of its own heat, for at least the first 5 days. I'd recommend getting a thermometer, but as it is a wild yeast you might need to experiment to see which temperatures are best. A lot of yeasts work well at just above 20C, and can produce off flavours above 24C (would end up very hot-alcohol tasting), so that might be a good place to start.

Back