Summer Quencher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
Do you think this would be any good? What could i expect from this brew? I just chose cascades bc they are what i know...would be open to others. Have you made anything like this?

7# 2 row
1# victory
.25# honey malt

.5 oz cascade 60 min
.25 oz cascade 20 min
.25 oz cascade 7 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min

Mash at 150

US 05 yeast

Sounds like like it will turn out like what you're looking for. May want to mash a touch higher to give it just a bit more body and may want to move your bigger hop additions toward the end if you really just want the aroma and flavor. Just a thought.

bjohnson29 said:
Sounds like like it will turn out like what you're looking for. May want to mash a touch higher to give it just a bit more body and may want to move your bigger hop additions toward the end if you really just want the aroma and flavor. Just a thought.

Thanks. I think i will do that. Any hops instead of cascades that might be good?

Cascade will work great, but you could use a whole host of others: Amarillo, centennial, citra, sorachi ace, and so on. BrewDudes website has a great list of hops, their chatacteristics and good substitutes...you may want to start there...

1lb of victory will get you a lot of toasty flavor... I use 1/2lb in my lighter summer beers when I want some toasty malt notes in there, so I can only imagine a pound will be quite dominant - especially with only 7lb base malt.
I may suggest adding a lb of white wheat if you're going for a summer quencher style... I like that it gives it a light creamy mouth-feel and aids with head retention on an otherwise simple grain-bill beer like this one..

I would totally experiment with the hops on a simple style like this... Cascades are good, but there's a world of hops waiting out there too. Some suggestions:
- Try some Sorachi Ace if you have access to them - they have a nice lemony, citrus note to them
- Crystal hops are nice for giving a spicy aspect that's not too harsh, perfect for lighter classic 'lager' type hop flavors
- Citra - will give a good dose of grapefruit/pasionfruity-ness

With the hops it will really come down to what flavors you want coming out in the end... spicy? fruity? piney? Once you answer that, you can narrow down which hops to add. Usually, with American styles, the more the merrier.:fro:

demuzik said:
1lb of victory will get you a lot of toasty flavor... I use 1/2lb in my lighter summer beers when I want some toasty malt notes in there, so I can only imagine a pound will be quite dominant - especially with only 7lb base malt.
I may suggest adding a lb of white wheat if you're going for a summer quencher style... I like that it gives it a light creamy mouth-feel and aids with head retention on an otherwise simple grain-bill beer like this one..

I would totally experiment with the hops on a simple style like this... Cascades are good, but there's a world of hops waiting out there too. Some suggestions:
- Try some Sorachi Ace if you have access to them - they have a nice lemony, citrus note to them
- Crystal hops are nice for giving a spicy aspect that's not too harsh, perfect for lighter classic 'lager' type hop flavors
- Citra - will give a good dose of grapefruit/pasionfruity-ness

With the hops it will really come down to what flavors you want coming out in the end... spicy? fruity? piney? Once you answer that, you can narrow down which hops to add. Usually, with American styles, the more the merrier.:fro:

Wow, very helpful. I think i will look for sorachi ace hops, they sound interesting.

Do you think any light crystal hops would be in order or would that be overkill when combined with the honey malt?

Wow, very helpful. I think i will look for sorachi ace hops, they sound interesting.

Do you think any light crystal hops would be in order or would that be overkill when combined with the honey malt?

Do you mean crystal malt? Honey malt is somewhat deceiving by name - it does not add sweetness like crystal/caramel malts do. I'd suggest doing a search on "honey malt" - I know there are several threads about the actual flavor and people's opinion on it, good and bad. In sum, its not a caramel/crystal replacement. If you're looking for a little extra sweetness or caramel tones, I would include 1/2 lb of C-10... couldn't go wrong with that.

Im sorry, yes, i meant crystal malts. Thanks for the info.

I made this a few weeks back and it was a fan favorite.

9# 2-row
.5# Crystal 15
.25# Honey Malt

.5oz Centennial FWH
.25oz Cascade 15
.25oz Cascade 10
.25oz Cascade 5
.25oz Cascade 0

Mash 150 for 60. 1056 at 62*

I got a lot of dill flavor from an all Sorachi Ace wheat.

I'm half jokingly thinking of making a Summit and Sorachi Ace beer. I figure the onion, garlic, and dill would pair with fish pretty well.. LOL

bnilguy said:
I got a lot of dill flavor from an all Sorachi Ace wheat

Sounds like kind of an odd/gross flavor for beer. Maybe i should shy away from the ace?

I got a lot of dill flavor from an all Sorachi Ace wheat.

I'm half jokingly thinking of making a Summit and Sorachi Ace beer. I figure the onion, garlic, and dill would pair with fish pretty well.. LOL

What'd you do, drop a pickle in the brewpot? I made an all-Sorachi Ace Kolsch this past spring/early summer, and it is fantastic. Lemony, slightly spicey, citrusy and bright... exactly what I was hoping for based on the descriptions of the hop online.
Perhaps anther ingredient you used interacted with the hop in a weird way... did you do any coriander or anything like that?

Just wheat dme and sorachi ace. They were from the most recent crop. Packaged by hop union. I did taste a sample and decided to dry hop with some citra. Smelled amazing. But still had the dill and grass overtones

I only used a 15 minute addition for that beer, so I can't say what an early or later addition will bring to the table. I've heard they work best when paired with other hops.

Have you worked with Victory before? It's very similar to Biscuit malt. Think "Fat Tire". It's a pretty distinctive flavor, and you may want to be careful about overdoing it.

Drop the Victory to 0.5#, add 0.5# of Crystal 60L, and you'll have a run of the mill lighter pale ale that will be a great summer quencher, and the Crystal will cut the Victory a bit.

I really like Victory Malt it adds that nice morning toast notes to your beer. Both Victory and Biscuit pair well with honey malt based on my experience. Also, I have been starting to shy away from crystal malts in my pale ales and focusing on blending the base malts to bring out more base malt character and let the hops shine a bit more. Just my 2 cents. Cheers and happy brewing!

Back