Summer pale ale recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbrew3

Reaction score
Was thinking of brewing up a summer pale ale, and really wanted to try out some orange blossom honey with orange peels. I think that would taste great with cascade and amarillo anywho. Has anyone brewed with honey?

recipe as follows:

5lbs light lme
2lbs orange blossom honey
1/2lb crystal 15l
1/2lb american white wheat
1oz sweet orange peel

60min .50oz columbus
15min .50oz amarillo
10min .50oz cascade
5min .50oz amarillo
flameout .50oz cascade

safale us-05 yeast

Honey is great to brew with, just know that it ferments out dry and won't give you a sweetness. You will get aroma and flavor from the botanicals that are in it, and gravity points from the sugars, but like I said it ferments dry with no real "honey" flavor.

Honey is great to brew with, just know that it ferments out dry and won't give you a sweetness. You will get aroma and flavor from the botanicals that are in it, and gravity points from the sugars, but like I said it ferments dry with no real "honey" flavor.

even if I add the honey and orange peel at the five minute mark?

No matter when you add the honey. Though I would add it at least at 15 in order to make sure you kill anything that could be added with it.

Gambrinus makes a honey malt that will impart a honey flavor.

No matter when you add the honey. Though I would add it at least at 15 in order to make sure you kill anything that could be added with it.

Gambrinus makes a honey malt that will impart a honey flavor.

I was going to recommend this as well, honey malts! :rockin:

honey doesnt need to be boiled, its high osmotic pressure kills anything in it. i always just add it during fermentation

honey doesnt need to be boiled, its high osmotic pressure kills anything in it. i always just add it during fermentation

Wouldn't it be best to actually mix it in to the wort/beer though? If you mix it during fermentation you risk oxidation. Why not add it after the wort is cooled and you are adding it to the fermenter?

that would be fine as well. actively fermenting wort mixes it up pretty well on its own

Was thinking of brewing up a summer pale ale, and really wanted to try out some orange blossom honey with orange peels. I think that would taste great with cascade and amarillo anywho. Has anyone brewed with honey?

recipe as follows:

5lbs light lme
2lbs orange blossom honey
1/2lb crystal 15l
1/2lb american white wheat
1oz sweet orange peel

60min .50oz columbus
15min .50oz amarillo
10min .50oz cascade
5min .50oz amarillo
flameout .50oz cascade

safale us-05 yeast

I'd change the 15,10,& 5 minute hop additions,as you won't get as much flavor from them with such short times. Add the whole ounce of Amarillo at 20 minutes,& 1oz of Cascade at 12-15 minutes. You'll get better hop flavors that way. If I want more aroma,I dry hop. Very late additions of 0-5 minutes never give much aroma to me,& are a waste.

well,that kinda sucks I read up on the orange blossom honey and it said it has a citrus flavor and thought it would be perfect for a sweet but hoppy spa..so should I skip the honey all together and just stick with honey malt and orange peels?

Yeah,that'd be better. That orange blossom honey has that flavor in it's natural state,but little or none fermented.

Back