Summer of '84

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just moved to Santa Fe NM. Followed my future wife down there who had moved 2 months earlier. Loved Santa Fe but was too far from home and my then 3 y/o daughter. So we eventually moved back to Wisconsin. This was taken just before my move to NM. Where did the time and hair go? Cheers!

image-2189560225.jpg

I was nine. Likely trading baseball cards, looking forward to Doc Gooden pitching his next start. Pretty sure I was really into a game called Crossbows and Catapults right around that time.

C&C was friggin AWESOME.

I was in 6th grade... I was really discovering music for the first time.. up to that point it had been old twangy bluegrass from my dad and folky (Dylan, Simon & Garfunkle) and the Beatles from my mom.

"Footloose" really spoke to me.. that was my town. Seriously.. dancing was sin, music was sin, everything that had anything to do with anything even remotely fun was sin. I started "collecting" tapes... anything and everything I could get ahold of... Van Halen, ZZ Top, Tina Turner, Phil Collins, KISS, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Laura Branigan, Hall and Oates.. a whole smorgasbord of genres and styles..

I rode my bike EVERYWHERE, was always out playing in the woods. My neighbor and I were still friends at that point and we built forts and bunkers and at one point attempted to build a cave...

The world was so huge and so magical. Every closet had a hidden passage to Narnia.. Xanth was just a day's walk away..

Night Court
Miami Vice! EPIC.
A View To A Kill

I remember there was a lot of nuclear testing going on. Rumors flew that Loring AFB in Limestone, Maine would be the first target the USSR would hit. "Duck and cover". Really?

It was also the year that I figured out that mom and dad were miserable together. Mom would jokingly say that they'd never get a divorce because neither of them wanted custody of my sister and I. But after awhile, she said it so much that I started to believe her... you really can't bullsh*t kids.

All-in-all, it was a great year. And I would give pretty much anything to be back there.

Lot in common. How's 60 treating you?

With your first at 20, you must have been married about the same time as us. Too bad it didn't work out. 40 years last December.

Damn, where'd the time go?

:drunk:

Yep, started young. Finally divorced in '90, I kept the house and kids so all is good with me. She just got bat **** crazy. I've been with a great woman since 91 so life is good.

Congratulations on your 40 years.

And as far as the time goes, if you don't pay attention it just disappears.

Cheers

And as far as the time goes, if you don't pay attention it just disappears.

My dad passed away earlier this year. Since then, I've been obsessed with how old he was when this or that happened. It blows my mind that he was 5-6 years younger than I am now when he was coaching my baseball team in 1984.

How was that 30 years ago?

My dad passed away earlier this year. Since then, I've been obsessed with how old he was when this or that happened. It blows my mind that he was 5-6 years younger than I am now when he was coaching my baseball team in 1984.

My dad died July '03. Interesting how the view of life changes when you get over the hill.

In 1984 I was living in an Athabaskan Indian village in Interior Alaska, teaching school and learning a great deal about the world and myself.

Whut said:
Where were you? That's me, on the right, cliff jumping at the temple of Poseidon in southern Greece.

What made you chose that year?

I was 10. Just about to start my first year at a new elementary school. My dad started letting me split a Budweiser with my brother on taco night!

I was 14, in 8th grade and had just discovered how to jerk off to dirty magazines...

I admit.. my path to hedonism started with the underwear section of the JC Penny catalog.. then I discovered National Geographic.. have always had a thing for black girls since then..

My first dirty magazine came along somewhere around 82.. And I had it up until I moved back to Maine from NC a few years ago. It got lost somewhere along the way.. Needless to say, I was pretty devastated.. there just ain't furbush like that anymore.

:ban:

9 years old living in Moore Oklahoma, wearing out tires on my bicycle.

I was 5. Probably playing pong/pac-man on my atari. not much to do when you're 5, other than play with GI Joe or Atari if you were fortunate enough to have one.

I Just lost my dad on Sept. 29, 5 year battle with cancer, and it is certainly a life changing experience. Wish I could have spent more time with him, but alas this journey of ours must end sometime; for us all :(

I Just lost my dad on Sept. 29, 5 year battle with cancer, and it is certainly a life changing experience. Wish I could have spent more time with him, but alas this journey of ours must end sometime; for us all :(

Yep. I am just waiting to get through a week in which I don't pick up my phone to tell him something funny or interesting that happened before it dawns on me that nobody's going to answer that call.

I had just finished my first year of college and was working a summer job for the town, mowing grass and painting fire hydrants...yeah, it was fun.

StepR said:
Sitting in the Wrigley Field bleachers watching the Cubs breakout season. and heartbreak.

Wrigley should sue Disney World for claiming to be the happiest place on earth. And I'm a Tigers fan.

I was 8 and I think we got a vcr that year, I remember how exited I was that we could watch movies at home. To think how far technology has come in 30 years.

I was 8 and I think we got a vcr that year, I remember how exited I was that we could watch movies at home. To think how far technology has come in 30 years.

For us, it was a HUGE deal and a special Saturday night when we rented a VCR and the tape of Star Wars. My brother got to see it in the theater when I was a toddler, and he was obsessed with it. Renting a VCR was the only way I got to see it.

My little nieces, who are 11 and 7, are completely bewildered by that. I tell them that I saw Empire Strikes Back in the theater, and then it was years and years before we finally got our own VCR and could watch it at home. Now you just wait 6 months, and get the Blu-Ray.

For us, it was a HUGE deal and a special Saturday night when we rented a VCR and the tape of Star Wars. My brother got to see it in the theater when I was a toddler, and he was obsessed with it. Renting a VCR was the only way I got to see it.

My little nieces, who are 11 and 7, are completely bewildered by that. I tell them that I saw Empire Strikes Back in the theater, and then it was years and years before we finally got our own VCR and could watch it at home. Now you just wait 6 months, and get the Blu-Ray.

except Lucas keeps changing it, so what you saw on VCR probably wasn't the same as the theatrical version

Indeed. I held on to my old VHS tapes until maybe 2009 when the original theatrical releases FINALLY came out on DVD.

JonM said:

I watched Star Wars laying on the hood of a Ford Mavrick at the drive-in theater.

I was 7 years old, and I would've never remembered playing Crossbows & Catapults if it weren't for this thread.

Also, my brothers and I were doing a lot of jumping, every time my dad cranked up some Van Halen on the gigunko stereo.

You owe me an afternoon of work. I have been looking for Crossbows and Catapults online to see if I can get it for my kid for this Christmas.

Hahaha yeah, I'm not posting you back. I think I still have my set. Here's some of what I've salvaged from my parents attic...

For us, it was a HUGE deal and a special Saturday night when we rented a VCR and the tape of Star Wars. My brother got to see it in the theater when I was a tcoddler, and he was obsessed with it. Renting a VCR was the only way I got to see it.

CBS would air it once a year, and it was truly awesome.

ForumRunner_20131012_115529.jpg

Back