Sulfur Apfelwein After Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
Hey all. Tried my hand at edworts Apfeil wein receipe. followed the recipe pretty closely. The biggest deviation in the recipe was the use of local, natural granny smith cider, unpreserved, instead of bottled apple juice.

I added the pectic enzyme to kill remnant wild yeasts and let it sit for 24 hours. pitches the red star yeast edwort calls for and let it go. I had a very mild start so i pitched a second packet and added some LD carlson yeast nutrient. I added 4 teaspoons, which according to the ld carlson instructions, is less than they require for 5 gallons of "must".

I let this sit for 6 weeks and bottled. at bottling the mix smelled really sulfury. a week later i cracked a carbed bottle to check its progress and it's still really sulfury. I'm wondering if this will age out or if i've skunked the whole batch with too much yeast nutrient. has this happened to anyone and what results have you gotten?

I've done a search and the sulfur keyword only really shows a sulfur smell after a day or two in to fermentation.

It's my first batch of the stuff ever so I can't really compare it to anything. Taste is fine its just the smell that is pretty harsh. Hoping it drops out now that its two weeks bottled. I dont have the gravity readings on me, sorry.

Could it be too much nutrient?

Abington has some great case stores!

I would hold the bottles for a bit and see if the yeast is still active in the beers. Hopefully the bottles don't grenade on you if they are in fact still fermenting.

I was under the impression that cider will have a sulfur smell if the yeast has not finished its job.

Not sure though, might also be the granny smith apples you used.

I'm pretty new at this thing myself.

Yeah. I hope it cleans up. I have 5 gallons of it. Hopefully by Christmas it cleans up. It's just in the aroma, not the taste, but the two senses are so codependent.

How did this turn out for you?

I also did a 5 gallon batch. There was mild rhino fart smell after primary. I bottled most of it in glass bottles but I also put a few in plastic bottles just to check carbonation. I'm ready to bottle pasteurize it now, but the latest bottle I cracked still has that sulfur smell even though it tastes fine and the carbonation is good.

After I bottle pasteurize it and leave it sit for a while, will the sulfur smell drop?

it has always been my experience that the smell goes away when it smoothes out...around a year of aging. Ymmv, but i'd stick the bottles somewhere and forget about them fit a while

Waiwaiwaiwaiwait.

"I added the pectic enzyme to kill remnant wild yeasts"

....that's not what pectic enzyme does. Did you sulfite, or did you add pectic enzyme only?

Waiwaiwaiwaiwait.

"I added the pectic enzyme to kill remnant wild yeasts"

....that's not what pectic enzyme does. Did you sulfite, or did you add pectic enzyme only?

Topic's over 3 years old. Someone bumped to see if the OP was still around to give any info on the cider's turnout, then the rest posting assumed it was a recent thread :p

Topic's over 3 years old. Someone bumped to see if the OP was still around to give any info on the cider's turnout, then the rest posting assumed it was a recent thread :p

LOL! Didn't realize. Though I'm really curious now.

Back