Sulfite substitutes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
looking for feedback on substitutes for sulfites once my wine is ready for bottling.

Wondering if anyone has used powdered VitC (ascorbic acid) -- which should help with oxidation (they add it to fruit juices afterall)

Any thoughts / feedback appreciated!

Cheers...

or is anyone successfully making wine without adding additional sulfites? (and what tips/tricks/insights can you share :)

I've made a good dry wine (mead) without any sulfites and stuff before. Just played it very carefully with the bottling and so on and it turned out great. I've also made a good off-dry mead before by step feeding until the yeast tapped out, and then let it stand for over a year before bottling, again without sulfites.

It works OK-ish, but I guess there's always risk involved.

You have a sensitivity to sulfites?

I've done a quick Google and I while it seems like it should work just fine, I don't see dosages for ascorbic acid in wine. Also keep in mind that it is pretty sour :p

I've made a good dry wine (mead) without any sulfites and stuff before. Just played it very carefully with the bottling and so on and it turned out great. I've also made a good off-dry mead before by step feeding until the yeast tapped out, and then let it stand for over a year before bottling, again without sulfites.

It works OK-ish, but I guess there's always risk involved.

You have a sensitivity to sulfites?

I've done a quick Google and I while it seems like it should work just fine, I don't see dosages for ascorbic acid in wine. Also keep in mind that it is pretty sour :p

Family member is sensitive. Thinking...Acid blend could also provide an anti-oxidant presence. Research continues...since bottling is Months away :)

Back