Suggestions to spice up a Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotnetdotcom

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Pale Ale in the 40-50 ibu range and I was wondering what ingredients could be used to give the flavor just a little more complexity? (I'm thinking of bittering with either Simcoe or Columbus)

+1 on simcoe did a low abv simcoe smash. tart grapefruit... clean and dry.

post full recipe... may have some real "spice" suggestions. coriander? lemon balm? even rosemary, or sweet gale? all can be good.

Yeah, I recently did a couple SMaSHs to compare Simcoe and Columbus, but it was only about 35 IBU. I've done 4 APA SMaSHs in a row now and I really liked them all. I'm getting ready to do another APA. I'm starting with simple APA recipe in the 45-50 IBU range and I wanted to try to add to the flavor a little bit. I just was wondering what flavorings people out there have tried that worked well with a Simcoe or Columbus for bittering. Whether it's a different hop, spice, fruit, specialty malt or whatever.

Back