Suggestions On Replacing CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
While the CFC is pretty efficient on my system I am getting tired of soaking it in PBW and even after that still not able to see what's built up in there. After my brew day I run hot water through it and then maybe a week before next brew day I'll soak the inside with PBW and see the crazy amount of gunk that comes out. And then on actual brew day ill rinse it with hot water from my HLT and more gunk will come out. Just seems like a lot of time and chemicals wasted and still isn't getting it completely clean.

So I'm debating on the jaded hydra or the jaded cyclone. Both of those look way easier to clean and seem to work pretty well. I do 10 gal batches and have a heating element in my BK and a big hop basket. Any ideas which one would work best?

That is really surprising that you keep getting stuff out of it after cleaning. However, any time you have a damp enclosed space, chances are that mold will grow given enough time, even if something is clean to begin with. Ever since I've had my CFC, I store it full of water with caps on both ends - no air. This prevents any mold growth between uses. I have kept it this way for months on end (yes, sometimes it's months between brews, especially in the summer). I still employ a recirculation with PBW and a pump on brew day while the boil is going, but nothing ever comes out.

If you are sour on CFC's, I wouldn't bother the Cyclone and just go immersion. The Hydra looks like a quality immersion chiller with all the benefits that go with immersion chillers.

In my opinion, immersion chiller is the way to go, especially if you have a whirlpool setup in your kettle.

However, I will caution that the jaded hydra is overpriced. It is a 50' immersion chiller. You pump cold water in one end and hot water comes out the other. There is literally nothing special about that chiller. It can not defy the laws of physics. The difference between the temperature of the cold water you pump in and the hot wort in the kettle represents the cooling potential. That law of physics is going to stay the same whether you use the $160 hydra or something that costs as little as $100 (or even less) from a vendor that doesn't spend as much on marketing.

I use a small vacuum, attach the hose to the blower side and push air through my CFC until it’s dry. You could also use a small air compressor. I’ll put some boiling water through it on brew day but nothing ever comes out.

I have had experience with most types of chillers. 'Cheaper' immersion chiller, plate chiller, CFC, and finally a Jaded cobra chiller. Without a doubt, the jaded chiller lives up to the hype. Easy to use and clean and works much faster than my other 'cheaper' 50 ft chiller. I was skeptical but figured I could test the money back guarentee.
All that to say I've tried many chillers over the years and my experience with a Jaded chiller has been better than I expected. If you're willing to spend the coin, well worth it.

I have had experience with most types of chillers. 'Cheaper' immersion chiller, plate chiller, CFC, and finally a Jaded cobra chiller. Without a doubt, the jaded chiller lives up to the hype. Easy to use and clean and works much faster than my other 'cheaper' 50 ft chiller. I was skeptical but figured I could test the money back guarentee.
All that to say I've tried many chillers over the years and my experience with a Jaded chiller has been better than I expected. If you're willing to spend the coin, well worth it.

I to agree 100% with this post. I have also used every chiller available over the years and the Jaded works the best, fastest and easiest hands down.

"Fastest" is a bit muddled. I've always considered speed being how long (or short in this case) does it take after I turn off the burner do I have a carboy filled with chilled wort ready for pitching. All things being equal, an in-line chiller will always be "fastest". The speed argument doesn't always trump everything else. Ease of use, maintenance and perceived flavor characteristics are players too. Pick your poison.

On the Hydra performance question, the design is pretty slick and does give it an advantage over a simple homemade version. They split the liquid flow into three separate coils which significantly makes the chill water more efficient. A garden hose can usually flow way more water than a typical 1/2" or 3/8" OD tube can handle, so the flow is naturally restricted in a one coil design. They basically triple the heat transfer with the same water supply (but with a corresponding increase in water usage as well, but the speed factor balances this out).

Don't forget, the numbers JaDeD quote are with 58 F chill water. At that temp, virtually any chiller is going to work pretty well. In winter, my CFC chill water is slowed down to just about a trickle.

Its probably my cleaning method why there is gunk still in there cause I just quick rinse from whatever is left in my HLT on brew day and then just pour in the PBW a few days before my next brew with a pitcher and let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse. But it just seems like more work than what it's worth to me. Even if the hydra takes an extra 5 - 10 minutes to cool to me that beats the extra time and maintenance with a CFC. I'm usually cleaning up other things during the chill anyway and I love the fact of just taking out the immersion chiller, rinsing, and then hanging it up till next brew day. And that I can have more confidence of it being totally clean.

My biggest concern was the hydra with my heating elements. I use a 15 gal keggle and just didn't know if I should have jaded weld some legs to sit above the elements or get a false bottom for the BK and have it just rest on that. I will be recirculating with a pump too btw.

Jaded makes an 'electric chair' to keep the chiller off the elements. Shoot them a quick message for details and pricing.

I suspect your PBW soak is way too short or too cold.
I clean bucket fermenters by soaking with sodium percarbonate or PBW for 24h if cold water used. takes a while to eat all the krausen off when cold.

My plate chiller just gets a boiling water recirculation (I do use hop spider though) and a PBW recirculation every few brews. Drain after the rinse and its fine.

After brew day I recirculate PBW in the same hoses and connections that I mashed, boiled, and whirlpooled with and dont' seem to have any issues with gunk. Perhaps your CFC is conveluted and i do not believe mine is. Perhaps back-flushing your CFC will help. Otherwise i'd suspect your cleaning times are too short...

i'm recirculating PBW at 130-150degF for 20mins min (usually longer as I've left to do something else). I then rinse/flush with water. Then I recirculate with saniclean for 5-10 mins before draining and drying (wetdry vac on all the ports). How long are you rinsing with PBW and at what temp? Room time is fine but higher temps mean shorter times. If it's just a soak, then you'll need a lot longer contact time to dissolve any organic matter. I'll soak a fermenter over 1-2days vs CIP with a sprayball/pump for 15 mins.

Back