suggestions on brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
Hello
I am going to start all grain brewing and obviously need a larger brew pot (than my 6 gallon). I am by no means rich but want to invest in a solid kettle that will grow with my brewing. I want to be able to brew 5 and 10 gallon batches of various gravity beers. I was leaning toward the 15 gallon stainless steel kettles from morebeer with the ball valve. Should I go 20 for higher gravity 10 gallon batches? Would that be too big for my sp-10 bayou burner? Too big for 5 gallon batches? Would love the opinions from the more experienced brewers in this community. Thanks so much
Ben

Hello
I am going to start all grain brewing and obviously need a larger brew pot (than my 6 gallon). I am by no means rich but want to invest in a solid kettle that will grow with my brewing. I want to be able to brew 5 and 10 gallon batches of various gravity beers. I was leaning toward the 15 gallon stainless steel kettles from morebeer with the ball valve. Should I go 20 for higher gravity 10 gallon batches? Would that be too big for my sp-10 bayou burner? Too big for 5 gallon batches? Would love the opinions from the more experienced brewers in this community. Thanks so much
Ben
I think the 15 gallon will do just about any gravity 10 gallon batch, but , if you get the 20 gallon kettle you could possibly squeeze in a 15 gallon batch if you wanted to. I started with a keggle doing 10 gallon batches, but now I do 17 gallon batches, using a 24 gallon stainless kettle. I dont know how much higher the price is for the 20, but if it was me, Id get the 20, just my .02. Good luck on your purchase.:rockin:

Could I do 5 gallon batches in the 15 gallon Kettle? I cant see too many problems other than I would have to reshape my wort chiller to fit it in the flatter volume of liquid. Any other problems I am missing on doing 5 gallon batches in bigger kettles. I am ultimately looking for flexibility. thanks again
Ben

A 20 gal pot is huge. While you could brew a 5 gal batch in one, I would feel a little silly. IMO 15 is a good size for your intended purpose. Also, doubtful you will look to do 10 gal super HIGH gavity.

Could I do 5 gallon batches in the 15 gallon Kettle? I cant see too many problems other than I would have to reshape my wort chiller to fit it in the flatter volume of liquid. Any other problems I am missing on doing 5 gallon batches in bigger kettles. I am ultimately looking for flexibility. thanks again
Ben
Yes you can do 5 gallon batches in the 15 gallon kettle, your chiller will be fine the way it is.:rockin:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I am going to go with the 15 gallon pot either the megapot or polarware. Cant wait to give all grain a try.

Back