suggestions on a pale ale with amarillo, centennial, and cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson3030

Reaction score
I stopped in the homebrew supply shop the other day with no recipe on hand but a hunch of making an American pale ale in the citrusy spectrum. I have the grains for a basic pale ale so I grabbed a few different citrusy hops. I grabbed two ounces of Amarillo, two ounces of Centennial and two ounces of Cascade. I'm not needing any suggestions on the grain bill but I would like some suggestions on my hop additions. I don't necessarily need to use each of the varieties or all of the quantities. Also I'm not looking for something terribly bitter. One ounce of my cascade is whole hops that I would like to dry hop with. The rest are pellet hops. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks a bunch!

I'd do one 60 minute hop addition accounting for about 2/3 of the IBU's you'd like - Centennial or Amarillo will be fine for this. Then just do a bunch of additions of all 3 near the end of the boil, all under 10 minutes. You can even steep/whirlpool if you'd like for 10-15 minutes.

Haven't plugged this into a calculator, but my gut says something like this would be tasty for an APA

.5 oz Centennial at 60
.5 oz Centennial at 30
.5 oz Cascade at 15
.5 oz Centennial at 10
.5 oz Cascade at 5
1 oz Amarillo at 0
.5 oz Centennial Dry Hop 10 days
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 10 days
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop 10 days

Can't really go wrong with the hops you chose. Have fun and looking forward to hearing what you go with.

I'd do one 60 minute hop addition accounting for about 2/3 of the IBU's you'd like - Centennial or Amarillo will be fine for this. Then just do a bunch of additions of all 3 near the end of the boil, all under 10 minutes. You can even steep/whirlpool if you'd like for 10-15 minutes.

This is what I would do, keeping some for the dry hop.
As mentioned, hard to go wrong with that combo!
:mug:

Centennial early for most of the IBU. Pound a lot in at flameout. Dry hop with the leaf and some Amarillo.

Back