Suggestions for table saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmatson

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a low-abv table saison and basing it off of Northern Brewer's Petite Saison kit with a few modifications.

Grain bill:
4.5# Pilsner
2.75# Vienna
0.75# Wheat
0.5# Flaked oats

Hops:
0.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min (~25IBU)

Additions:
0.5 oz Coriander

Yeast:
Belle Saison with fermentation started at 58F (basement air temp) and allowed to free-rise

Want to focus on the yeast flavors (hence lack of hops) and can always dry hop if I want more hop before I keg it. Any thoughts?

I tend to like a late hop addition (0-5 min) for aroma that I find balances well with Belle Saison. One of my favorite hops for that is EKG. I think that would go well with the corinader, too.

Your strategy is about what I do for mine in grain bill. The vienna adds a bit more flavor than just the straight pilsner at such a low OG.

You lost me at "low abv"... Lol!

My saisons are typically 6.5-8% abv. You recipe looks good for a lighter saison, though. And Belle Saison can chew thru any fermentables (or non fermentables, or even the primary itself lol) in your primary, so a lighter beer can suddenly become a bigger one

Seems solid. But Belle will eat everything so it might get thin?

I think I'd rather use a non diastaticus-yeast for a light beer, so you still have some body, like T-58 for instance.

I've been trying to do the same thing pmatson!
If you're going to use a diastaticus yeast like Belle (great flavor) it will always be a monster and continue to ferment throughout the beer's life. You're going to want to mash really high and drink the beer fresh or it will thin out and you'll lose the flavors that you get from a larger grain bill. That's my experience at least.

You could ditch the spices too and just let the yeast add that character.

Let us know how it goes!

Seems solid. But Belle will eat everything so it might get thin?

I think I'd rather use a non diastaticus-yeast for a light beer, so you still have some body, like T-58 for instance.
Belle/3711 produce glycerol, so there is no problem with perceived body (to my palate). Go for it.

3711/Belle Saison are easy to use but very one-dimensional in the overall character. Try 3724 or 3726.

Despite several brew day issues (such as a clogged CFC on my grainfather) which led to an overnight cooling period and forgetting to aerate the wort, the beer turned out as a simple but very serviceable table beer. (Note: I did add a 1/2 oz of EKG at 5 min as suggested by bucketnative). The Belle worked very fast (as expected) and finished around 1.004 when I kegged it after 9 days. While not highly flavorful or complex, it is a tasty beer and considering that I was afraid it was going to be an utter failure I am pretty happy with it. I will probably tinker with the recipe a little for the next time and hopefully have a smoother brew day. Just goes to show RDWHAHB!

Good stuff! Glad it turned out.

FWIW a go-to table saison that I'd highly recommend is very simple: 70% pils, 20% rye malt, 10% sugar. Hop to 20-25 IBU with EKG or continental noble hop and 1/2-1 oz at knockout. Vary between 1.040 and 1.050 keeping in mind that on the upper end of that, you'll finish with ~6% ABV due to high attenuation.

If you ferment with 3711 or Belle Saison, skip the sugar. My personal favs are the DuPont isolates though. If using those, pitch at 18 C and rising to 27 C over 5 days in an open ferment. 3711 or Belle are less finicky and you can more or less let them do whatever they want.

Just about to keg a version of this with Imperial Rustic tonight. All indications are that it's a winner. Very ester-forward though... tonnes of bubblegum and banana - almost more of a weissbier yeast profile. Not much spice.

Back