Suggestions for fixing Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKaiser

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My 240v 5500w BK element is kaput. The post separated from the terminal lug bracket.

I bought the element almost a year ago and am just now getting around to installing so returning it likely is not an option.

Do I:
1) silver solder post and bracket back together
2) TIG weld together
3) Don't bother with either of the above and just get a new one.

Resistance checks out at 11.1 ohms at the posts so rest of the element is OK.

IMG_6199.jpg

TIG if you can do that. The wire might not be solderable. Some metals just will NOT take solder, even when fluxed well (my experience, anyway).

Now, the truth is I don't weld, so I'd give the solder a try, and it it didn't work out immediately I'd be getting a new one.

Is there a chance that it would get hot enough to melt the solder? What's the melting point of silver solder? Now that I think about it, that would be a big concern.

Don't solder it - the element may get warm enough to melt the solder or certainly fatigue it and cause it to crack. You can't even think about using a torch on it, the plastic in the element will burn.

I'd give spot welding a try. The "storebought" ones look like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-spot-welder-61205.html

However, there are two other options:

a) You can make a DIY spot welder with a car battery, some heavy-gauge wire and a couple big nails. Google "diy spot welder".

b) Batteries and Bulbs (used to be Batteries Plus) stores have spot welders they use to make packs. It might be possible for their unit to spot weld your heating element.

I am concerned about silver solder as well. Soft solder (silver solder) has relatively low melting point.

I'll take it to my welder. If he can't fix it I'll just buy a new element. $40 far cheaper than spot welder or trip to hospital after playing with car batteries, wire and nails;)

And of course, The YouTubes Speaketh:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrlvqib94xQ[/ame]

Really great vid...awesome results at the end!

I dont thing the screw terminal mounted on the plastic block gets anywhere near hot enough to melt solder actually... Think about it... If it did the plastic block its sitting on would melt guys..

One quick trigger pull of a MIG machine. If you decide to throw it away, let me know, I'll pay shipping :^)

Car battery welding.... have fun with that.

When was it discovered that the terminal gets hot enough to to effect solder? The insulation block as well as the plastic collar on the screw terminal connector should melt LONG before the solder would be effected in any way.. Why am I the only one who believes this?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. I decided to give my welder a crack at it tomorrow when I see him.

augiedoggy, I agree that plastic would melt before solder. My only concern with the solder is it can get brittle. If I were to go that route ideally I would braze the post to the bracket, but the heat required to do so would melt the plastic.

Brundog, yes probably best to just get another one but doesn't hurt or cost me anything to try MIG/TIG welding first.

When was it discovered that the terminal gets hot enough to to effect solder? The insulation block as well as the plastic collar on the screw terminal connector should melt LONG before the solder would be effected in any way.. Why am I the only one who believes this?

Who are you talking to? Did somebody disagree with you? I'm agreeing.

I don't know what type of plastic is in the element, but there are plenty of plastic materials with melting temperatures above silver solder. Std nylon is close, and nylon 66 is well above it. You've probably got both of them in your kitchen. Probably that element base is just ABS, well below the solder melting temp

Who are you talking to? Did somebody disagree with you? I'm agreeing.

I don't know what type of plastic is in the element, but there are plenty of plastic materials with melting temperatures above silver solder. Std nylon is close, and nylon 66 is well above it. You've probably got both of them in your kitchen. Probably that element base is just ABS, well below the solder melting temp

Sorry I could have phrased that better but Im not talking to anyone in particular. Rather the fact that my comment was seemingly ignored and the conversation went on with suggestions that it should probably be tossed or homemade welders should be implemented... I'm just asking were the evidence that solder wont work came in and I missed it I guess...

One quick trigger pull of a MIG machine. If you decide to throw it away, let me know, I'll pay shipping :^)

Sorry golfindia, looks like I'll be keeping it.

Low amp TIG and a little stainless rod appears to have done the trick. Looks like I'll finally be able to break in the new rig soon. Checked resistance and it's still at 11.1 to 11.2 Ohms whether checked at the brackets or on the posts.

The top of the plastic insulator did get a small burn mark at the surface from the heat of the TIG, but nothing that would draw concern.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

IMG_6200.jpg

Back