Suggestions for first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
Ok, I have slowly assembled my equipment. I only have 1 or 2 more pieces to buy then I will be completely ready to brew, ferment, and dispense my beer. So, now I am thinking of what to brew first. My wife and I both like IPA's, was thinking of brewing one of them first. I am starting with extract brewing. Once I learn the in's and out of brewing with a kit, I will then broaden my operation to include milling my own grains. But now, I need some suggestions of what to brew first and what website I can get it from (no homebrew stores in my area).

Thanks.

I agree fully with the two previous posters, that one recipe in particular seems like it would be tasty.

For your first brew, I reccomend going with the dry yeast instead of the liquid. Unless of course, you are ready to make a starter and such - that packet of nottingham will do that batch just fine, providing your fermentation temps are reasonable.

I *HIGHLY* reccomend following the rehydration instructions noted on the yeast package. As you will learn as time goes on, yeast is probably the biggest variable when it comes to making beer (I think the widely used book 'Designing Great Beers' quotes that same idea). Do not do what I did, and i took the easy path with dry yeast and my beer did suffer. Rehydration will help ensure quick, even fermentation.

I hope that is helpful!

Brew on

Any basic beer will do, Pale Ale, IPA is fine. Whatever.

Nothing wrong with dry yeast, as jjones says. The liquid is nice when you need liquid, but the starter is highly recommended. If I can use dry yeast I do. And I usually pitch 2 packets for anything except the lighter styles, just because they are pretty cheap. But you don't have to (and by light I am talking about the fermentability ie sugar content, not color).

Bells 2-hearted is my favorite anytime beer. Maybe they have a clone of that?

Northern Brewer has a 2-hearted clone, 3-hearted ale. I have it going, but just now bottling it. (my 4th or 5th kit)

They also have another clone, Sinistral warrior. (3rd)

Austin has a golden palisades promo going still I think.

They (austin) have a ton of clones, so if there's one you like, might be a good place to look. Haven't done any of the basic 'IPA' kits.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Those are the only two I've used. There's also a midwest one and a rebel brewer one out of Nashville.

I liked starting out with a basic kit (Was patersbier from NB as I'm a big Belgian fan as well as IPA). The thing I like about NB was they have the instructions readily available.

Sorry for the duplicate suggestion Thile, I think my computer froze up a little and it delayed my post.

Another great IPA that we have in Minnesota is Surly Furious. Midwest Supplies has a clone called Ferocious IPA. I haven't had it but the original is fantastic!

I never understood people asking what to brew? What should I have for lunch today?;)

If you and wifey like IPA's, do it up. Their easy and should turn out ok, even if you make multiple mistakes.

I never understood people asking what to brew? What should I have for lunch today?;)

If you and wifey like IPA's, do it up. Their easy and should turn out ok, even if you make multiple mistakes.

My first trip to my LHBS I was told something similar... I asked what I should do first and he said, "A man should never pick another man's woman, car, or beer"

That being said, go with an IPA, we all demand you do so. :ban:

Simple Ales are the best to start with imho. An amber, golden, or light ale that doesnt have any grains to steep. Another upside of these beers is they can be 'rushed' a little so you can be drinking them far sooner than other styles of brew. My first was Novice Gold, check my sig blog. :)

Back