Suggestions for a winter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarrHill

Reaction score
I've got a baby coming in about six weeks, so I'm trying to get my supply line full for the winter to account for no brewing time in the coming months. I've got a dunkelweizen that is about to go into keg, and I'm looking for another good winter beer that I can have ready to drink within a month or so.

With my self-imposed time constraints, things that take longer are out, such as barleywine, RIS, Belgians. I have been considering a 1.050-1.060 stout or porter, vs something quaffable like a bitter or mild. Any suggestions for a nice everyday drinker for the early winter months? Thanks

Thanks for replying! I like reds, too. I usually do one in the spring. I've done traditional Irish style reds as well as American style Red IPA/hoppy red ale.

I vote a nice oatmeal stout/porter that's pretty thick and good to sip on. Then follow that up with your favorite 4-5%er to down inbetween.

I'm gonna try something that's in-between a Robust Porter and a Baltic Porter for my holiday beer this year. Need to brew it soon in case it needs to age a bit...

I'm planning to do ed's robust porter in a week and a half. I've never brewed it before but I read alot of the thread and it sounds perfect for winter. Good luck

I was just reading that post. I'm toying with the idea of parti-gyling to get Ed's porter and a mild out of a single brew day. I've never done it before, and I know it's harder to do BIAB than 3V, so I'll need to do some more research

I do JZ's brown porter most winters. I'm also finding ESB's work especially well at winter.

You could try a (unspiced) Winter warmer / Burton ale / strong ale. OG around 1.060, some 40-45 IBU, dark invert and a touch of chocolate malt for a colour around 18-22SRM. You can play around with some late hops, like EKG + Mandarina Bavaria.

Congrats on the baby (the wife and I are expecting our second in three weeks!). Here's a thought: if your wife is planning on breast-feeding, stouts or dark beers have been proven to improve lactation. So, my recommendation would be a stout or porter of some sort, maybe even a sweet stout.

Thanks for the tip. Unforunately, even if I told my wife that it would make the baby sleep through the night and change her own diapers, I don't think I could get her to drink a stout.

Congratulations on your little one, as well!

So, I think I'm going to do Ed's robust porter, probably with some coffee added, and also try to put up a batch of my house beer, witch is an ESB that I've been perfecting for a while. That plus the Dunkel should last me at least to the new year! :mug:

Back