Suggestions for a good thermowell thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harebearva

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm wanting to add a thermowell to my carboy so I can get a better read on the internal fermentation temps. I can get the thermowell pretty cheap. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap probe thermometer that fits the thermowell? Any suggestions for a better way is welcome as well. thanks :)

I'm not to sure why you would need a thermowell. What about a 10" long thermometer down through the top of the ferm bucket into the wort.

Temperature control and yeast management are pretty important. A thermometer can tell you temp but won't control the temp for you.

Want to make a hef? Ferment at 75 and you'll get banana. Ferment at 63 get clove. Ferment at 68 and you get balance.

You want one and they're bitchin. I currently use Johnson a19 to control freezer ambient temp at 53 for porter secondary. and Johnson a419 temp controller with the thermowell and a brew belt to keep my wheat at 68 in the same freezer. House temp is 69 to 75 and I don't want too much banana in my wheat. (Both controllers are available at Midwest brew supply).

I started with the mechanical one then added the digital with thermowells. Between the temp controlled freezer, a brew belt, the thermowell and the a419 I have nice flexibility for my small space.

Simply sticking a mechanical probe in my wheat would not work for this.

On my a419 I wired it myself and can plug 3 things into it. They will all operate around the same set point so during sub fermentation winter temps I can do triple batches if similar beers. Put the thermowell in one of the batches, set all 3 brews close together so they are in the same ambient temp condition.

Latest posts

Back