Suggestion on recipe using "leftovers"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotched

Reaction score
I have some leftover ingredients from other cider/beer experiments:

0.5 oz Kent Golding
0.5 oz Cascade
1.0 oz Northern Brewer

0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 150L (milled)
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 120L (whole)
0.5 lbs Belgian Wheat (whole)
0.75 lbs Torrified Wheat

.75 lbs Light DME
1 pack Safale US-05

Can I make a batch using just these ingredients? I don't leave near a HBS, so anything I'd need to add would have to be found locally also.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You just dont have any fermentables. unless your considering a 2 leter batch you need some more dme.

Sure, you should be able to mill the wheat. You may have to tighten your mill a little because the wheat can be smaller than barley, but there's no husk to worry about so you can mill it pretty good.

As far as your recipe goes, you'll definitely need more fermentables. Is the Belgian wheat malted I assume? If you are doing partial mashes, you could get a pound or two of 2-row and do a mini-mash with the leftover grains you've got, then supplement the rest with some more dme (up to maybe 1.06?). It would be a pretty dark beer, but without any roasted grains its not quite a stout. The wheat would definitely give you some mouth-feel, not quite to oatmeal levels but I bet it would be good.

Bitter with the Northern Brewer, throw the Kent Golding in later and you'd have the starting of something. Could even dry hop with the cascades if you were intent on using everything up, but I'm not sure that they would go with what you've got. But then again, isn't that the fun of it all :D.

Interesting. Yes, the Belgian is malted, thanks.

What if I added: 2lbs coffee malt and 2lbs Dark Malt Extract?

I don't have a milling machine but I don't mind being barbaric (mortar/pestle) with the wheat, if I can get o.k. results.

Also, any hints on the ratios/amounts with the grains? I figure that standard on the hops would be (@-60mins Northern [bittering]) and (@-15mins Kent Golding [flavor])

you need more fermentables IMO, LME, DME, or malted barley. 2lbs dark DME is a start, not sure about the coffee malt. Specialty grains should be a fraction of the grain bill, adding large amounts will give flavor and body but little to no fermentables. 2 lbs of coffee malt sounds excessive.

Youve got the starts of a nice belgian style recipe there. But yeah, lacking fermentables. Just put the milled crystal 150 in a airtight jar, somewhere dry and cool, and order some more DME. When it arrives make a beer then.

Mortar and pestle should work fine for the wheat, just don't turn it to a powder. Not sure if it would have enough diastatic power to convert the flaked wheat by itself, but it might.

Haven't ever heard of coffee malt, but if its like roasted malt 2 lbs is probably too much for the gravity you would wind up with. A lot of imperial stouts will only use 1.5lbs, and with the 120L, 150L, and dark dme you'll have plenty of color. 1lb might even be a little too much, but would work much better. If my math is right (which it isn't always) that would only bring you to about 1.04, and a decent amount of that is coming from the crystal/roast grains and won't be fermentable. I'd maybe add another 1lb of dme, either light or dark.

Hops is about what I was thinking, you could maybe move the EKG later if you wanted a little more aroma from them, but 15 would be a good call.

Ok, so I need to up the dme/malted barley.

1lb Base Malt (2-row)
0.5 lbs Belgian Wheat (to be milled)
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 150L (milled)
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 120L (whole)
0.75 lbs Torrified Wheat

.75 lbs Light DME
1lb Dark DME

1oz Northern
0.5oz Kent Golding

5 Gallon Recipe

How do my amounts grain amounts look?

Back