Suggest a dark beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
A friend brought me a Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout last night & it was the first dark beer I've had. It was definitely different, but not in a bad way. While I wouldn't mind making a batch of a dark beer, I'd like to try a few more to get a feel for em.

So have at it, what are some of the best (and worst) dark beers out there?

Since you're in California, it shouldn't be difficult to find a Wookey Jack to sample...

Mmm sounds good! Is it thicker like a true oatmeal stout? I've always wanted to try one of those.

norsk said:
Since you're in California, it shouldn't be difficult to find a Wookey Jack to sample...

Yah the easier to get my hands on the better! Is Firestone known for their stouts primarily? The guy above you also mentioned one of theirs

If you are looking for a gateway dark beer to brew, try a Dunkleweizen. Something along the lines of Julius Echter or Franziskaner Dunkel.

My current favorite dark beers:

Sierra Nevada Narwhal
Dogfish Head Bitches Brew
Ballast Point Victory at Sea

I should just take this thread with me to la bodega and grab a couple that are being recommended haha

Yah the easier to get my hands on the better! Is Firestone known for their stouts primarily? The guy above you also mentioned one of theirs

They're known primarily for their barrel aging program. Top notch stuff.

Old Rasputin is great and year round
Wookey Jack is great, but it's more IPA than dark beer IMHO.
Deschutes obsidian Stout.
Black Butte Porter (also Deschutes)
Downtown Brown from Lost Coast.

Acyr90 said:
Mmm sounds good! Is it thicker like a true oatmeal stout? I've always wanted to try one of those.

Its thick, smooth, and a bit toasty. Super easy drinking, super delicious! Wookey jack is also amazing. Im also in ca, and sometimes can find youngs double chocolate stout, another amazing stout. Havent had speedway stout yet, but heard nothing but good things

Haven't seen it on the list yet, but there is a little known start up out of Dublin, Ireland, that makes an OK stout. Name escaping me. Starts with a G maybe? Not quite as hoppy as an American stout, but maybe worth a try if you can find it.

Second Deschutes Black Butte porter. Flagship beer from Deschutes, and one of my favorites.

Shakespeare Stout from Rogue is tasty.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
Founders Breakfast Stout
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

A good one which should be relatively easy to find will be Spaten Optimator. It is a doppelbock style beer.

Deschutes Black Butte Porter - There are fancier ones, stronger ones, hoppier ones, but IMO this is the first dark beer I had, and it's still the standard for me.

Firestone Walker's porter is amazing. I dont know the name of it.

Also, if you find you like porters and are ready to brew one, Jamil's black widow porter is quite awesome. It is one of the beers I have brewed I am drinking now and I look forward to that first sip all day.

Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S The crusher but IDK if they distribute to CA
+1 to Youngs Double chocolate
-It's great mixed 50/50 w/ a decent kriek
Rogue Shakespeare
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, any vanilla porter really
Founders Breakfast Stout

I should stop naming beers....

Back