Sugars in Specialty Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakenbacon

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was curious if you all could shed some light here. I recently did a 6 gallon batch of a India Black Ale. Recipe below...

11#'s 2-row
1# Victory
12 ounces Crystal 120
12 ounces Carafa

13.5 #'s total grain.

And my OG ended up being 1.054, Should have been 1.061. So my question is, do specialty malts such as carafa, have less sugar than say 2-row? I am using TastyBrew's online calculator and it basically is registering every pound of grain(regardless of which type) as yielding the same amount of sugar. So essentially, if I do a 13.5# grain bill, on a 6 gallon batch, It will always get the same projected OG, regardless of grain bill, at least on this calculator. For instance, here is a zombie dust clone grain bill I just did..

10.5#'s 2-row
2#'s Munich
1#Crystal 60

13.5#'s total grain. My OG ended up at 1.061, right were the calculator predicted.

Same OG is projected on both because both use the same amount of grain and have the same batch size. This cannot be correct right? Well my OG proves it can't, right? Thanks for the help and sorry if this is worded poorly.:confused:

What you aren't considering is that the Mr. Malty calculator is doing is adding up the fermentable sugars from the base malt. Your adjunct malts don't contribute nearly as much fermentable malt sugar as your base malt and are really meant to be used for adding flavor, body and head retention to your beer.

Latest posts

Back