Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody had any good experiences with powdered sugar? Or confectioners? And what is your take on crystalized sugar vs. regular.

for what?
sugar has no place in a mead really. Honey, fruits, maybe some malted grains...even maple syrup.

but not cane sugar.

Has anybody had any good experiences with powdered sugar? Or confectioners? And what is your take on crystalized sugar vs. regular.

Powdered sugar is sugar and cornstarch. I would not put cornstarch in mead. Confectioners is the same product. All sugar is crystal unless it is syrup. Sugar cane is fine for country wines. Never hear much about sugar in mead, but if you wanted a really dry mead, sugar would help. If you want to prime to make a sparkling mead, sugar cane would work very well.

I admit I used soem sugar and some honey - I didn't have much honey available - to do some backsweetening....

I haven't used it as a 'fermentable' in mead. Although I have in beer and... well never again will I add it unless specifically called for by a receipe that I already know the results of. It doesn't add but abv% and some possible nastiness flavors.

Opp i meant to post this in a reg. Thread. Didnt mean to specify to just mead.

phew! I was afraid you were messing up some good meads!

all good replies so far. sugar ferments completely and tends to dry out/thin the body of beer, which is why except for specific styles and recipes, we mostly leave it for carbonating, in low quantities.

Belgium beers with Candi sugar are about the most common 'true to style' beers that would have sugar in addition to malted grains for fermentables.

Back