Sugar substitute with malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironridger

Reaction score
Will be trying first Coopers Dark Ale kit, calls for 1kg of corn sugar. Would like to use 500g of corn sugar and 500g of plain dark dry malt extract instead. Will this be alright?

The cooper's cans seem to love plain malt extract additions. I do that myself. I brewed the dark ale as a base for my "whiskely ale" I'm aging in bottles as of yesterday.
Here's the interesting part. I added 3lbs of Munton's plain amber DME to it. I used half the DME in the boil to do my hop additions,20,10,& -10. When it reached a stable FG,& mellowed/cleared a bit,I took a sample. Wow! The color was beautiful. Like a dark brown with a ruby color mixed with that. Like a red ale mixed with a brown one!
The flavor was like a vanilla cream with the dark,smooth malt added in. I'm going to brew this one again,but not oak it this time. The bourbon soaked medium toast French oak chips,after 8 days in secondary,lightened the color,got more oak/bourbon flavor.
I'm hoping when it clears again,& conditions,that I'll get those colors/flavors again! The combo of dark ale & plain amber DME was great by itself!

Back