Sugar in the Raw/Cane Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
So a recipe i used called for cane sugar. That's a pretty broad category, so i did a little research and decided to use what i thought was the purest version available at the grocery store, Sugar in the Raw. I just figured that the less processing, the better; i don't really like putting very processed ingredients in my brew.

Those of you who have brewed with cane sugar, what form did you use and why?

See my thread on Tepache Mead. I have a batch going now. Have only sampled a little here and there so I'm not sure of the final flavor. I can tell you that it has been a month and is still fermenting.

I got some organic raw demerara, i wouldnt mind priming with sometime,i like the unique taste but wouldnt expect much from it in a brew or priming.Dark candied belgian sugar sounds interesting to brew with.Cane sugars are best used up to 20% in high gravity beers. I used a little dextrose in a pilsner ale which i wanted it dry crisp and light.
I understand your reasoning on over processed foods but i dont think the yeast care much about that in fact i believe they thrive on refined sugars.I just dont plan on using sugar much.

Forgot to mention that I used Sugar In The Raw aka turbinado sugar because of it's molasses content. Figured it would contribute to the flavor.

Before we give you advice, what type of beer are you brewing, why do you want to use it, and at what point in the process, in the boil, in primary, secondary or at priming.

I've used every sugar imaginable in various forms and at various stages, and I use different one's for different things.

Before we give you advice, what type of beer are you brewing, why do you want to use it, and at what point in the process, in the boil, in primary, secondary or at priming.

I've used every sugar imaginable in various forms and at various stages, and I use different one's for different things.

brewed an IIPA, its a Southern Tier Unearthly clone. I'm using it b/c it's in the recipe; most of their imperials have some sort of adjunct. Poured in a pound at the beginning of the boil (60 mins)

Southern tier probably used white sugar as opposed to anything with any mollases/carmalization happening. The darker the sugar the more residual flavors left behind after the yeast eats it. In terms of boosting alcohol/drying the beer out/bumping gravity without bumping body white table sugar would be the "purest" if by purest you mean not contributing any flavors to it.

I use GH Pure Cane Sugar. On the box it says it is made from 100% cane & nothing else. Anytime you change something from one form to another, it is a "process" so I guess this stuff is processed but unless they are using some sort of chemical, I think I have a pretty good product. Oh, and my beer tastes great!

by "pure" I mean less processed.

Larry, what is "GH" pure cane sugar? is that a store brand?

The darker the sugar the more residual flavors left behind after the yeast eats it. In terms of boosting alcohol/drying the beer out/bumping gravity without bumping body white table sugar would be the "purest" if by purest you mean not contributing any flavors to it.

This.

If you are looking to dry the finish or add some kick, go w/ white table sugar. Ferments very cleanly.

For more of a flavor profile, try jaggery. Very raw/unrefined, and contributes a slight "maple" and/or "buttery" flavor.

Back