Sugar for drying out a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
Sorry for the post that must be the thousandth ever. I did some searching and didn't find it, but I do know it's out there.

I want to use one yeast for all of my beers but there are beers/grain bills that I like very dry. do you all know of any posts that speak (or type) of drying out beers based on percent of fermentable bill? Someone has studied this before me... I'm looking at Nottingham as a "house yeast" but want to dry down some summer beers to keep them stupid crisp!

Does anyone know of a post with numbers/data?

Thank you all in advance,

Swifty

I don't know of any posts like this but it really depends on what type of beer you are making. Folks usually use somewhere between 5 to 20% of the grain bill in sugar to dry their beers out.

Thanks for the response..

also, can sugar be added after fermentation has started/neared FG?

yes it can be added after fermentation has started. when i do this i usually do it on day 2 or 3.

Keep in mind that to dry a beer out, you want to replace some of the malt with sugar, not just simply adding sugar on top of the malt that was in the original recipe. The latter will just boost the ABV, and not really give you the drying out you want. Or in other words, make sure there is no change in the Starting Gravity

^ This. You must adjust (lower) the malt and use sugar in its place to dry a beer out.
Any reason why you want to use the same yeast? I am fascinated by the different strains of yeast and their effects on beer. I would say I could easily get away with using no more than maybe 3-4 different yeasts tops, but I love the taste profile changes with certain yeasts.

Back