Sucking Down CO2...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter13

Reaction score
Question to experienced keggers:

I have a 5# canister...I have been carbing my beers with the CO2, but I am almost going through the ENTIRE thing a 5 Gal batch???? Is this normal, and I need to get a bigger canister next time, or am I screwing something up...

Or maybe I need to just go back to priming....? But the general consensus seems to be that artificially carbing with the CO2 is better...

tks

whats the best way to check your whole system out for leaks?

You could squirt all your lines, fittings, keg with water, like checking tires for a slow leak... Have not started keggin yet, but I've read a lot... Have you rebuilt your kegs lately.

That's kinda what I thought....I feel dumb now for posting it, but I checked my initial set-up (Regulator, gauges, etc...) and everything checked out...

I did read that artificial carbing would suck down some CO2....But I kinda knew it wasn't THAT much...

Thanks everyone....:eek:

Once you've got you rig setup, the only likely leak is at the regulator/tank nut. Seven years of kegging and still when I hook up a fresh tank I'll isolate & pressurize the regulator, then shut the tank off. If it's holding pressure after 24 hours, ok.

I'd been pretty good with no leaks for a long time until a month or so ago - one of the QD's on a corny was not seated all that well - and it dumped 1/2 a tank into the fridge. I could smell/feel it when I opened the fridge one day.

Back