Saison Such Spring Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSplootsBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Danstar Belle Saison
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
15 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 73-75
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68
Tasting Notes
Hoppy for a saison, well built, but a little medicinal at the end.
Grain Bill:

8.5 LB Belgian Pilsner (2 Row)
1.5 LB White Wheat (Briess)
0.5 LB CaraPils Malt (Briess)
0.5 LB Flaked Oats for mouthfeel
1 LB raw Michigan Honey (added with 10 minutes left on the boil)

Hops:

1 OZ New Zealand Nelson Sauvin (13% AA) @ 60 Mins
.5 OZ German Brewers Gold (5.5% AA) @ 60 Mins
.5 OZ German Brewers Gold (5.5% AA) @ 30 Mins
1 OZ German Brewers Gold (5.5% AA) @ 15 Mins

Yeast:

Danstar Belle Saison (started 3 days earlier)

Additional:

1 OZ loose leaf herbal tea dry hop during secondary (14 days)

Mash:

Single Step Infusion at 150F for 60 minutes (3.5 gallons)
Mash Out with 212F water (1.25 gallons) and let rest for 10 minutes.
Sparge at 170F with another 3.5 gallons of water. (My first time doing an all grain batch this I messed this step up and ended up with only 5 gallons total.)

Boil for 60 minutes adding hops at the stated times. I went for a hoppier beer as I was hoping to balance out the tea that I would be dry hopping with which I feared might be sweet.

Add the honey with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Chill to pitching temp (I chilled to ~66F) and aerate well when moving to the fermenter. Pitch the starter and allow the temperature to rise to ~75-76 degrees (I had to put my fermenter in a small closet on my main floor and wrap it in towels to get it to stay at that temp as my house is a little drafty and both times I've done this brew it's been on the cold side.) Leave in primary for approximately one week or until fermentation slows. I left it alone for a couple days past a week because it was still chugging along the first time, second go around it had slowed at 7 days.

Rack to secondary and add the tea in a hop bag (I didn't do this the first time and some of the loose leaf tea made it through to bottles.) Let it rest for another 2 weeks at 68-70 F.

Bottle or keg to roughly 3 volumes. My first batch was less than a full 5.5 gallon batch and I ended up over-carbing it, but the second batch was much better.

Tasting notes:

The first go-around was pretty good by itself, I did not dry hop it at that time. The most recent batch which I am currently drinking now turned out really good.

Appearance: Hazy deep golden with a bit of a red tinge to it. Rocky white two finger head lasts well into the consumption and eventually leads to nice lacing.

Aroma: At first I could not put my finger on a precise aroma for it. I was concerned it was a bad batch as it had an almost sweet smell to it. As it has conditioned the smell is herbal and spicy, with an almost wine like quality to it. Berries and lemon, and the traditional Belgian yeast phenols are present as well.

Taste: I was concerned the beer would be too hoppy given the level of the IBU's, and was plesantly surprised when I found that it was actually quite sedate for a 70 IBU beer. Up front there's the spicy herbal flavors from the belgian yeast and the tea, sweetness from the berries, a little bit of sweet bread too as the malt comes through. Lingering bitterness from the hops, with a bit of fruit and spice on the end. If asked, I would not have guessed this to be a 7.35% beer, and it can definitely sneak up on you. I did not get much of the honey either, which was a surprise as well. There is a bit of a medicinal bite at the end, which I believe comes from the Rooibos tea (which I will leave out the next time I brew this I think), which did disappoint me a little bit.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is pleasing and leaves a bit of a zing on the tongue. Starts sweet and ends dry, which I like.

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome. The first batch had some misqueues, thanks to my not sparging properly, but the second time around, it turned out quite a bit better in my opinion. The Cicerone in my office, along with some of the other homebrewers all seemed to like it quite a bit, and it even got good reviews from my in-laws who "don't like hoppy beers, or beers with different flavors."

Oddly enough, the only picture I could find on my phone is a 2/3 consumed glass of this:

0HwY34F.jpg

Latest posts

Back