Such a dumb move!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am brewing up a lite Honey extract ale and it called for 1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.75 %. Okay, so I added it at boil directly in the wort for 60minutes. It is also just chillin in the fermentor as we speak. Now I am reading that it must be mashed?? It was supposed to be extract not partial?

I am confused, is this a very dumb thing to do and now what will happen; anything wierd?

Thanks! :confused:

Yep, rice needs to be mashed. You've added starch to your beer, a mash would have converted the starch to sugar. I'm not certain but I think boiling the rice might make your beer permanently cloudy - either that or the starch will just sink to the bottom with the trub. There's nothing you can do about it now, except maybe add some sugar. Half a pound of sugar dissolved in a pint of boiling water, should get you what the rice would have added.

Geez.... I feel like such a noob... oh wait, that’s because I AM! =)

Thanks for all the help guys.

What if I let it go, wait 7 days ... add to a secondary with gelatin and rack onto a 12 oz of cover honey?

Okay everyone,

So, I boiled my flaked rice for 60 minutes instead of mashing it. This in-turn added zero fermentable sugar to my wort and it just added starch resulting in a cloudy beer! The reason you ask? Well obviously I am a noob, and the recipe said it was extract and not partial; lesson learned!
What will this do to my flavor?

I am thinking of racking to a secondary in 7 days with gelatin. I will also add 12 oz of clover honey to make up for the lost fermentables.

Thoughts?

Guidance??

Thanks all!

:eek:

here is my recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.24 %
13.6 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 13.39 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.75 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.81 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (45 min)Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
12.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11.81
Cry Havoc White Labs - WLP862

What if I let it go, wait 7 days ... add to a secondary with gelatin and rack onto a 12 oz of cover honey?
Add the honey after 7 days. You can add it straight to the primary. Once the honey has fermented out, then try clearing with gelatin. Again, I'm not certain if boiling the rice will cause cloudiness, but if it does then gelatin is probably your best bet for clearing it up. The recommendation to add the honey after a week comes from Jamil Zainasheff saying to add simple sugars after the yeast has eaten most of the more complex sugars in the wort.

Hmm, well the worst thing thats going to happen is your going to make beer. you might get some tannins from the carmel/crystal if it was in the boil. How did it smell/taste ?
If it wasn't very bitter or burned your ok.

Okay everyone,

So, I boiled my flaked rice for 60 minutes instead of mashing it. This in-turn added zero fermentable sugar to my wort and it just added starch resulting in a cloudy beer! The reason you ask? Well obviously I am a noob, and the recipe said it was extract and not partial; lesson learned!
What will this do to my flavor?

I am thinking of racking to a secondary in 7 days with gelatin. I will also add 12 oz of clover honey to make up for the lost fermentables.

Thoughts?

Guidance??

Thanks all!

here is my recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.24 %
13.6 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 13.39 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.75 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.81 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (45 min)Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
12.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11.81
Cry Havoc White Labs - WLP862

Hi everyone,

I am brewing up a lite Honey extract ale and it called for 1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 15.75 %. Okay, so I added it at boil directly in the wort for 60minutes. It is also just chillin in the fermentor as we speak. Now I am reading that it must be mashed?? It was supposed to be extract not partial?

I am confused, is this a very dumb thing to do and now what will happen; anything wierd?

Thanks! :confused:

Is this a kit? Where's the recipe from?

add the honey now, the yeast need to ferment it out.

forget about a secondary. add your gelatin after fermentation is 100% complete and you've refrigerated the primary overnight.

EDIT: don't post the same question in every sub forum...one will do.

I'm assuming you steeped the crystal malt. I think just boiling some rice into your beer will only make is cloudy. You can probably get rid of most of it with the various tricks for clearing beer, such as crash cooling and adding gelatin (read the instructions. You do NOT want to boil that either!)

And you may not get rid of all of it. But yeah, you made beer and lesson learned.

Thanks for everything guys!

and yes I did steep the Carmel/Crystal =)... thats the one thing I did right lol

Thanks again!

MichaelsBrewing said:
Thanks for the info!

What temperature is best when I refrigerate?

32-40F. normal fridge temps are fine. This step is to help drop out any remaining solids and yeast after fermentation is 100% done. Search "cold crash" for more info & detailed directions. Gelatin is about a million times more effective at clearing cold beer vs room temp.

You should have steeped the rice flakes with the Crystal Malt, you didnt boil the crystal malt with the rice, did you?

Nothing you can do now, who knows, maybe it will be good. If it sucks, then just save it to drink when your already drunk. Thats what i do with batches that are less than worthy. I mean... i would if that ever happened to me...

Okay folks... here is the final product! It is an amazing beer but of course it is a little cloudy..

Here is a pic:

3072-honey-ale.jpg

This will be made again soon! =)

Back