Successful Brew This Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordForever

Reaction score
This weekend (Saturday) I bottled my TrueBrew Pale Ale which has been fermenting for 2 weeks, a little early I know. It was my first batch ever and I did make a lot of (MINOR) errors . Final volume was exactly 4 gallons instead of 5 due to a miscalculation. I used the entire bag of priming sugar that came with the kit and mixed it in. This means that each bottle technically has to much sugar in it. I ended up with 42 bottles.

SUNDAY I brewed an American IPA and everything went great! I actually felt like I was loopy from the hop smell it was so strange, I also had a headache. Anyways I spent at least 3 hours sanitizing this weekend so I am happy with the results.

On a side note, I did manage to find a Fully Automatic Capping Tool and it works great. Is anyone else using one of these? I definitely need another carboy for next weekend it bothers me to only have one batch fermenting.

autocapper.jpg

brew2-1.jpg

brew21.jpg

final_Brew.jpg

That looks like the Red Baron wing capper I have. Not automatic,but it does a good job. I fill my fermenters up to whatever amount the recipe says by the graduations on my fermenters (1 cooper's micro brew FV,2 ale pales). And use a hydrometer to get OG & FG readings. That's the only way to know for sure when it's done fermenting. Knowing the OG will help you calculate ABV%. Just give the bottled ales time to condition properly at room temps in covered boxes to keep them from getting skunked. 3-4 weeks conditioning time is the going rate for average gravity beers. Welcome to the addiction.:mug:

Yes...get them out of the light while they are bottle conditioning or you might get some skunk flavor....

Looks like a successful brew day!

I've got one of those fully automated cappers too! Fortunately mine (my daughter) is young enough that she is still powered by kool-aid, does your's run on beer?

I've got one of those fully automated cappers too! Fortunately mine (my daughter) is young enough that she is still powered by kool-aid, does your's run on beer?

Possibly both borderline sexist and hilarious. Not touching either with a ten foot pole.

I like beer.

Consider storing the beers in a Rubbermaid or similar container, just in case the excess sugar causes a bottle bomb or two. Good luck.:mug:

Back