Successes and failures with grain mills, what mill has worked best for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MM-3 for me. I bought the stainless rolls and 1/2" drive. It was way before they offered 2.0 and hardened rolls. I will say it has been love and hate. I've had difficulty with it always wanting to feed. I've milled 70 sacks I guess with it. I mounted and old 1/2" drill to it and run it through a HFreight router speed control to slow it down. I think I have it finally worked out. I would buy the 2 roll 2.0 mill. Less to mess with. Not sure there is any gain in the 3 roll mill. My crush does look awesome. I do not condition. I couldn't see the extra work worth it. Since I fly sparge, I think speed control is important. If I batch sprarges I'd crank it down and run it through at full speed. I bought my mill when Fred had just started Monster. The mills have improved greatly and wouldn't even consider another mill. I know many that love other brands. I burnt up a Barley Crusher in no time. This MM-3 is heavy built and will be left to my kid when I'm gone. If there is one thing I've learned, buying the best saves in the long run.

I will say I bought the MM-3 because I brew often. If I were brewing 4-5 times a year that Cereal Killer is darn reasonable. I'd have no problem with that mill. I'm running another 30# through mine tomorrow.

I am another satisfied Corona style owner. I have done over 75 brews in about 4 years. I spent about 1 hour adjusting it 4 years ago and have not adjusted anything since....
I get consistent results. It also only cost me a dollar or so. A couple of washers and some tape..... It was a Christmas present.

I have my mm2 mounted to a table love joy coupled to a motor and 90 degree gear reducer. Absolutely love it!

I fall into the Barley Crusher group. I am About 100 batches or so In to it and it is beginning to loose its grip on the grain. I took it apart and cleaned it real well, and oiled the rollers. It's working, but several times while trying to crush a batch it looses its grip on the grain and just spins. I've given up on the drill because it would never bite on the grain. I put the handle on and it works, but as, I said it looses it grip. I found if I turn the handle backwards a rotation or two, it will then bite onto the grain again. I have ten kegs (full) standing by waiting to be tapped, so I have a little time to wait on the crankandstein folks to get back up and running.
I do like the look of the 3D with the geared rollers, something I was surprised all mills didn't have.

PS: I usually brew four to six times per month, five gallon batches.

Back