Success! Mostly...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM4OSU

Reaction score
So, I started a mead in some lean financial times back in December. It was a personal take on the JAOM, with apples instead of oranges. I only used 2# of honey, and later learned that would turn out dry. So, here I am, six weeks later and it isn't half bad. I think I'm hooked and have started a couple batches of melomels recently, but with 3# honey instead (I'm not a huge fan of dry wines). One cranberry, one cherry, and one blueberry. I started the cranberry a week after the first try. I gave it a little taste a weeks ago and it is waaaaaaay good. It should be ready soon!:tank:

Most of all, I want to thank the forum members past and present for the wealth of knowledge! Drink well, friends!

Just keep in mind that flavor profiles will change drastically over time. I had a batch of mead( cant recall which one off the top of my head as I am at work and don't have my notes with me) but it tasted surprisingly good while very young. I let it sit in the carboy for a couple more weeks out of laziness, then sampled again right before bottling( decided to bottle alot sooner then I normally would, but I figured why not cause it tasted so good the previous time I sampled some) but it then tasted like I expected, very young. I then let it bottle age some, and it ended up tasting delicious again.

I believe that if you do bottle and drink it during the tasty young stage it's referred to as a federweizer, At least with grape wines. I could be way wrong though. Just recalling a conversation I over heard at a brew meeting years ago

I drank a bottle of it last night and was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out. My taste tests early on weren't promising... I have a couple other bottles that I plan on keeping around for a quite a while to see how it changes. I'll open it up in June or so...

Back