Substitution of S33 for Wyeast 3787 - am I being ripped off? Need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpat2061

Reaction score
I bought an extract kit from americanbrewmaster.com for a quad - it was supposed to ship with 2 packets of Wyeast 3787, but they were out of that so they gave me two packets of S33 instead.

I've previously used s33 for low gravity ales - will it tolerate the 10.5% abv target of this beer? Will it mess up the flavor profile of a belgian?

Or is this company just too lazy to give me the correct yeast? I plan to age this beer for a year and I don't want to find out down the road that I ruined it with the wrong yeast.

The ingredients are as follows:

3.3 LB Light LME
8.65 LB Pilsner LME (the original recipe calls for 7.65 but they gave me extra, for some reason)
1oz hersbrucker, 1oz styrian goldsing, 1 oz northern brewer
2lbs Candi Syrup
6oz maltodextrin

OG 1.094
Final 1.016
IBU 24
ABV 10.5%

Any advice would be appreciated!

Yes, replacing an expensive liquid yeast with cheap dry yeast without any apology or refund is a rip-off. Return it and take your business elsewhere. That is inexcusable.
S-33 is not even a Belgian yeast!

S-33 is not even close to a replacement for 3787. Request the 3787 or return the kit and get what you want from someplace else.

Also, not to sound preachy but please don't try to make a 10% belgian for one of your first beers. They require specific techniques and temperature control. Think about splitting your ingredients into two 5% beers if you keep the kit (and toss the yeast).

Also, not to sound preachy but please don't try to make a 10% belgian for one of your first beers. They require specific techniques and temperature control. Think about splitting your ingredients into two 5% beers if you keep the kit (and toss the yeast).

Making a big beer from extract is pretty easy and 3787 is pretty open to different temperatures... it's not going to win awards without a more elaborate approach maybe but I don't see why he shouldn't make it if he's patient enough to wait for it to be drinking well

But yeah, to the OP, that beer is all about the yeast so best to get the right stuff.

Back