Substituting wheat for two row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
Our local club doing a bunch of brews for an event to feature wheat. At first my brewing partner and I weren't too interested in brewing for the event as we know that basically it is going to be the usual suspects that appear as far as styles. So we got to talking and thought that if we wanted to join the fun why not try something completely different, but what? This led down a couple of roads and finally toward trying something along the lines of an English pale in which we would substitute approximately 1/2 of the base grain with wheat. Has anyone ever done this? What were your goals? What were your results?

Thanks!

Looks like you'd wind up with a lightish, hoppy dunkelweizen. Sounds like a good idea.

If you want to continue in a wheat beer direction, then Wyeast 3333 German kristallwiezen would keep it clear, as would 3942 Belgian wheat and 3944 Celis witbier, without playing up the banana esters too much. Or you can stick with any English pale ale yeast to keep it English.

Post your recipe and your results.

Right now what I'm looking at doing is a bitter. I have read so many times that people use a portion of wheat, often around 6%, sometimes as high as 10%, and it got me wondering what it would taste like if I were to further ramp up that percentage. I wan to play with the numbers a little more but the basic plan is to go MO for the base grain, around 40-45% wheat, some crystal 60 for a little color and malt flavor, and a touch of black malt to give it a little color as I don't envision it being too light.

As for hops, I also have some Northdown, which I love, that I want to use up. I'm thinking either that all the way througg, or maybe a little EKG or fuggles at the end, and I'm thinking I'll try the 1099 for yeast so that I'm left with some flavor out of it.

It's an experiment. It may be good, it may suck. If nothing else it should give me a baseline for how to play around more with wheat in the future as well as more experience creating a recipe by pissing in the wind.

The concept has a lot of similarities to some white (I)PAs I've seen, except for the black malt, obviously. May be worth seeing if anyone has had good luck with a English White (I)PA and using that for ideas.

I did a nice wheat beer that was:

4.5 lbs US 2 row
4.0 lbs white wheat malt
1 oz Willamette at 60
1 oz Cascade at 10
Wyeast American Wheat Ale 1010

OG was 1.041 FG was 1.010.

Very drinkable. Light and refreshing.

Back