Substituting extract for grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atietyen

Reaction score
I've been googling and googling and haven't been able to find an exact answer. Heres what I am looking to do. Typically I do 10 gallon batches but some recipes grain bill are too large to mash that amount of grain in northern brewers 10 gallon all grain set up. For these, I would like to subsitute in extract to reduce the grain bill. Does anyone know how I can calculate how to do this? Like for every ? lb of grain I would use a ? gallon of extract? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I remember right it's 1.25 lbs of DME = 1 lb of 2 row and 1.3lbs of LME = 1 lb of 2 row. If this is not exact it's close.

Edit- you could always add the extract at flame out to the desired OG

It's generally 1 pound of two row = .75 pound pale LME = .6 pound light (or extra light) DME.

For 5 pounds of two-row, you could sub 3 pounds light DME.

Yooper said:
It's generally 1 pound of two row = .75 pound pale LME = .6 pound light (or extra light) DME.

For 5 pounds of two-row, you could sub 3 pounds light DME.

What Yooper said, I had it backwards :)

Thanks guys. I'm specifically doing a maibock which uses German Pilsner grain. I assume I'd want to use pilsner extract. Would I use the same ratio?

Thanks guys. I'm specifically doing a maibock which uses German Pilsner grain. I assume I'd want to use pilsner extract. Would I use the same ratio?

Yes, although pilsen extract also has carapils in it, I believe, so you could leave out any carapils/dextrine malt in the recipe.

Back