Substitute for vanilla bean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelot Legends

Reaction score
With the price a vanilla beans, I was wondering if anyone has tried to substitute it with castoreum? Supposedly, it’s cheaper than vanilla beans with a similar flavor and scent.

I like tonka beans. They don't have the same taste, but it is on a similar spectrum. Price is reasonable.

Beware though: that stuff is potent! I spiked a few bottles of porter with some homemade tonka extract, and it is simply overpowering.

Have you checked Amazon for the beans? Hands down the cheapest I've seen. They were very fresh as well. As much as I use them I couldn't afford to keep getting them from my local store.

Have you checked Amazon for the beans? Hands down the cheapest I've seen. They were very fresh as well. As much as I use them I couldn't afford to keep getting them from my local store.
Wow, the price is cheap. Didn’t think to check there. My local grocery store want over $30 just for 2 beans. Thanks

Ethnic markets are good too. Between mercados, Asian and Middle Eastern markets you can usually get bigger quantities of better quality for a lot less than the spice section of a generic grocery store. Even then, I can get a big bag of of cumin in the Latin section of my grocery store that's 4x the quantity for 1/2 the cost of the spice aisle in the same damned store.

Ethnic markets are good too. Between mercados, Asian and Middle Eastern markets you can usually get bigger quantities of better quality for a lot less than the spice section of a generic grocery store. Even then, I can get a big bag of of cumin in the Latin section of my grocery store that's 4x the quantity for 1/2 the cost of the spice aisle in the same damned store.
Thank you for this suggestion. I live a couple towns outside a city where there are a much of ethnic markets.

Back