Substitute for Muntons Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiGladys

Reaction score
I am planning to brew up a recipe that calls for (among other ingredients) - 3.3 Lbs of Munton's "Old Ale" malt extract.

I believe I read somewhere that this is a hopped extract. If I just want to use a basic extract, does anyone have a suggestion for what type of LME and how much additional hops I might need to add to the boil?

I used that for my very first batch... I made Papazian's Avagadro's Expeditious Ale with it. Turned out very good (for a first batch!)! It should be "strong, hoppy and copper colored".

The extract is fairly dark, if I recall, although I haven't used a lot of liquid extracts. The hop level was not high, but it was there.

What are you trying to make? Are you planning on steeping any grains? It might help to post what you are shooting for, so we can help you meet your target.

I am doing an Old Peculiar clone out of the How to Homebrew Magazine. Ingredients:
3.3 lbs. John Bull Amber malt extract
3.3 lbs. Muntons "Old Ale" malt extract
8 oz. Lyle’s black treacle syrup
2 oz. malto-dextrin
4 oz. wheat malt, 2° Lovibond
4 oz. light caramel malt, 20° Lovibond
4 oz. medium caramel malt, 60° Lovibond
4 oz. dark caramel malt, 90° Lovibond
4 oz. black roasted barley
1 oz. Willamette or Fuggle hops (7.7% alpha acid) for 45 min.
1 oz. Northern Brewer pellets for steeping
14 g. Nottingham dry ale yeast or Wyeast 1728 (Scottish ale

Muntons | Home Beer Making

Old Ale - Rich and warming with an unmistakable "aged" flavour - this beer should ideally be served in nips. OG 1060° to 1064°.

Typical analyses when canned

Colour (EBC Units) 27 - 33
Bitterness (EBU's) 45 - 55
Solids (by refractometer) 80% - 82%
Acidity (as lactic) 1% max
pH 5 - 6
Free Amino Nitrogen 0.15%

TBH, I would just sub in some regular light DME (or LME, if you prefer). You are going to be getting a lot of the colour from the grains you are steeping. Maybe add an extra 0.5 to 1 oz of Northern brewer (at the start of the boil).

Here is my version, (all grain) based of Clone brews and using the Wyeast old ale blend.

Thanks for the info. I will try to do it w/ a combination of LME to get the right starting gravity and then I will add another ounce of hops for the full boil to up the bitterness. The fuggle hops I have are a lower AA% than what the recipe calls for, so I think and extra ounce should make up the difference.

Back