Substitute for erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beau_cephus

Reaction score
Are there any containers at the local market that have flat bottoms that could be used with a stir plate? I have a cider container but it doesn't have a flat bottom and doesn't work with my home made stir plate.

I have used a mason jar in a pinch and things turned out fine, but not with a stir plate. I did the "swirl" method every few hours. Had massive ferm going on. Just FYI if you can't find something else.

Are there any containers at the local market that have flat bottoms that could be used with a stir plate? I have a cider container but it doesn't have a flat bottom and doesn't work with my home made stir plate.

The only thing that I found that worked in a pinch was a cheap flower vase. Now I have a 2L and 5L erlenmeyer flasks.

i have a 1 gal jug that isn't flat on the bottom and I haven't had any problems using it on my DYI stirplate. I guess its a matter of how strong your magnet is. you could always try it with water just to see if your container is going to work.

I have a growler from the local brewery that I will try. Looking at the fan, I can adjust the magnets closer to the bottom of the lid and still have adequate clearance.

The Wal-Mart flower vase is a great idea in a pinch. I found one a few years ago for maybe 5 bucks. It had a wide mouth that I had to cover with foil, but it was probably 3-4 liters with a flat bottom. Worked great 'till I got a flask.

I use a growler most of the time and i do the swirl method. Dont have either the erlenmeyer flask or a stirplate yet.

I use a half gallon pickle jar. The dimple in the bottom is not usually a problem as long as you play with it with water and learn the sweet spot. So when you have wort and can't see the stir bar you have an idea of where to move it.

I used a 1 gallon glass jar until I got a 3L erlenmeyer. It worked fine. Not exactly flat on the bottom, but was not an issue with stir plate.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to increase my magnetic force. Tried with a couple of plastic cups and it worked until I filled them with water.

Back