Submersible Pump problem - doesn't pump!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metric

Reaction score
I'm hoping a fellow homebrewtalk peep can help me find a solution to this issue:

I have a Wel-Bilt 1/8HP submersible pump that I use to circulate ice water through my immersion chiller. It's been working fine until recently, it now doesn't pump any water. I can hear a droning sound coming from it, which I assume is coming from the motor, but for whatever reason it's not sucking up any water from the ice water bath. Any ideas before I go ahead and open it up to see what's going on inside?

Thanks in advance......

These pumps are pretty simple. Take the guard off and see if you can turn the impeller by hand. If so then your motor is probably toast.

These pumps are pretty simple. Take the guard off and see if you can turn the impeller by hand. If so then your motor is probably toast.

So I ended up doing just that and after turning the impeller, it started working again. After a few on and off cycles, it stalled again. I turned the impeller and worked just fine. I reassembled and tested it in a bucket of water. Since I didn't secure the outlet hose I ended up spraying my garage and myself with water! :smack:
Anyway, I'm thinking that the motor may be on the way out and I should just run it until it quits turning again.

Anyone have a recommendation for a better pump to use in the future?

My first hunch is that the bearings/bushings from the motor to the impeller are starting to fail and binding up. Otherwise it certainly could be the brushes, unless it is a brushless motor. I have used a few submersible pumps in the past and also blown a few out. Make sure any replacement is temperature rated down to at least freezing, it could be that contraction of the pump materials at the cold temp may be shortening its life cycle. In my experience, spending a little more on a good pump is going to save you trouble and money down the road.

Dont feel bad about spraying yourself/garage with water, I know Ive done it accidentially and Im sure there are others here who have as well. :drunk:

Most submersible pumps have small boots or bushings that the shaft sits in at each end. these keep the magnet centered and off the plastic lined walls of the coil, when these bushings wear out things get sloppy and the magnet rubs or binds in the plastic lined coil hole... its likely that the manufacturer sells a rebuild kit just as all name brand aquarium pumps do at fish /aquarium supply stores...

My first hunch is that the bearings/bushings from the motor to the impeller are starting to fail and binding up. Otherwise it certainly could be the brushes, unless it is a brushless motor. I have used a few submersible pumps in the past and also blown a few out. Make sure any replacement is temperature rated down to at least freezing, it could be that contraction of the pump materials at the cold temp may be shortening its life cycle. In my experience, spending a little more on a good pump is going to save you trouble and money down the road.

Dont feel bad about spraying yourself/garage with water, I know Ive done it accidentially and Im sure there are others here who have as well. :drunk:

Thanks for the info. What pump(s) do you recommend based on your experience?

M

I'm looking for some advise here with choosing a CIP Pump. I've read in the last couple of days a lot of requirements around Pumps and the use of Star-san at temps between 100-140 degrees. Has anyone looked for inexpensive (<$100) pool / hot tub pumps like the one at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/53GPM-1-2-H...-Sea-Water-Circulation-Pump-NEW-/120795454077
?

I've also read that using the cheaper pumps used for water fountains and submersible sump pumps all have drawbacks.. most around oil coolant leaking out at temps above 100 F. as well as low < 50 GPM ratings.

Thanks

Back