Sub for iodine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
Since iodine sales are banned in the US now, is there another way to test for mash conversion?

Hmmm... I thought I read that it had been banned. I know I can't buy it in my state - I've been told that it is being used to make meth.

I didn't know that idophor was the same thing - I will have to order some. thanks for the heads up!

walmart has providone Iodine for sale. It is the weaker 10%.

I think you are mistaking the restriction of selling the higher concentration of Iodine. To curb the meth manufacturers.
They mix iodine and H2O2 to crystalize the iodine, then bind that with the other crap. Mainly red phosphorus and pseudoephedrine.

Its been a few years since I have taken a meth brewing class.

In some states, I bet it's harder to get. They took pseudoephedrine off the shelves here, because of the meth making, but you can still get it at the counter. You have to go to the counter and ask, though. I assume something similar is happening with iodine.

I can get it here, as "tincture of iodine" but not crystals. Well, that's not necessarily true- I haven't attempted to buy it in several years. I assume I can still get it. It's good for first aid, so I think they'll still have it, at least in limited quantities.

Granted I have no knowledge of the law in KS, but try a farm and feed type of store. Or a vetrinary supply store. They typically carry iodine for the animals.

If you buy a crap ton of it, then be prepared to be added to a List. Same with ephedrine products.

Yooper, you are lucky. Its all prescription in Oregon now. Plus the Docs I work with are reluctant to write scripts for it. Its easier to get narcotics.

I have been to about ten different pharmacies (including walmart) and they either look at me like I have three heads, or point me to some product with the word iodine in the name (but usually contains more ingredients). I even had one lady at walmart ask "Iodine? Who makes that?" to which I had no response :)

Nah, it's not banned nationally...it MAY be a behind the counter thing at some drugstores, but for the most part it is still available..

You can still get gentle iodine wound spray and teat anesceptic at Tractor Supply Company (Which a few of us use as sanitizer...it's the same as ioophor)

You may just have to look around...or at a drugstore ask the druggest behind the counter for it...just don't look like a meth cooker and you should be okay.

It doesn't matter what other ingredients it has...if it's says iodine..then it will work for a conversion test.

Oh wait you live in Kansas...Uh yeah in Kansas and Missouri you MAY have a problem......WHen I lived in MO...I didnt know that those two states were the Meth Production capital of the nation.

You may have a couple of state wide bans, but it isn't a national one....

But serously go to a farm supply store and look for Dionne Gentle 1% Iodine...

Tractor Supply Company - Dionne Gentle Iodine 1%, 16 oz

That's what many of us use....

So to make this a no-rinse solution, add 1.25ml to 1L of water to get the 12.5ppm needed? Is my math correct?
To tell you the truth, I followed the iodophor brand mixing directions. Accounting for the fact that Iodophor has 12% iodine. I threw out the bottle awhile ago, but I believe it called for something like 5cc per gallon.

I will post again in the morning when my head is clear of tonights imbibing.

Oh wait you live in Kansas...Uh yeah in Kansas and Missouri you MAY have a problem......WHen I lived in MO...I didnt know that those two states were the Meth Production capital of the nation.

You may have a couple of state wide bans, but it isn't a national one....

But serously go to a farm supply store and look for Dionne Gentle 1% Iodine...

Tractor Supply Company - Dionne Gentle Iodine 1%, 16 oz

That's what many of us use....

Yeah, I've never understood banning stuff like that....the people using it for illicit purposes are still going to get it, meanwhile the rest of us are inconvenienced.

I'll give Tractor Supply a shot....I have one of those less than 2 miles from my house....it IS kansas, after all ;)

Yeah, I've never understood banning stuff like that....the people using it for illicit purposes are still going to get it, meanwhile the rest of us are inconvenienced.

I'll give Tractor Supply a shot....I have one of those less than 2 miles from my house....it IS kansas, after all ;)

I disagree. I dislike having to go behind the counter to get my decongestant, but the stats indicate that there has been a big drop in meth production using that stuff since they moved it behind the counter.

I'll be pissed if they make it prescription though. The stuff they replaced it with (PE) is crap and does nothing for my sinuses. I swear that if I can't get cleared with that stuff, then I'm in trouble with sinus infections and throat infections. The PE stuff is worthless, and every single pharmacist I've talked to agrees.

I think the ban on Pseudo is making people try to use other things, because you KNOW the meth users are going to try anything they can get their hands on!

But as far as Iodine, I have no clue.

I disagree. I dislike having to go behind the counter to get my decongestant, but the stats indicate that there has been a big drop in meth production using that stuff since they moved it behind the counter.

I haven't seen the stats, but I guess if it actually works then that's fine.
I just can't see an obstacle as small as that stopping a meth dealer.....then again, these are probably not the most ambitious and ingenious people out there ;)

here's a link I found about iodine sales. Lots of information that I didn't read through, but it looks as though stores can only sell products with a small percentage of iodine, they get charged a fee to keep iodine products in stock, and they have to put everyone's name on "the list" that purchases an iodine product, regardless of the amount purchased.

The TSC gentle iodine is 1% so it falls below the regulation...I use about 1.5 tbs/5 gallons, and it matches the hue of the original iodophor @ 1 tbs/5 gallons.

Many of us use it as a sanitizer.

I use about 1.5 tbs/5 gallons, and it matches the hue of the original iodophor @ 1 tbs/5 gallons.

Many of us use it as a sanitizer.

Hey Revvy,

Do you mean that you dilute it to use as a sanitizer, or for doing conversion tests?

In Oregon, the ephedra/pseudoephedra ban has caused all of the local home cookers to go out of business. The meth labs I have been coming across are all for personal consumption.

But, the main supply is now coming up from Mexico. Or the supplies are coming up from Mexico and is being cooked in larger more sophisticated labs. Basically its become more organized with a better quality product.

anyways, thats my view from my little part of the world. There is a bigger picture and the restrictions are probably helping. Although I have no delusions that it is a 100% cure for meth production.

In Oregon, the ephedra/pseudoephedra ban has caused all of the local home cookers to go out of business. The meth labs I have been coming across are all for personal consumption.

But, the main supply is now coming up from Mexico. Or the supplies are coming up from Mexico and is being cooked in larger more sophisticated labs. Basically its become more organized with a better quality product.

anyways, thats my view from my little part of the world. There is a bigger picture and the restrictions are probably helping. Although I have no delusions that it is a 100% cure for meth production.

Damn the big corps always roll into town and drive the mom and pop shops out of business.

:D

Back