Sub 4.0% Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWright_VT

Reaction score
Our next club competition is a sub 4% beer, any style, so I came up with a recipe for an "amber" that I hope will have a little flavor. I'm thinking combo between Amber and cream ale, thus some corn and some chocolate malt. I thought the citra hops would give some good citrus flavor, without being too bitter.

The goal is to come up with a low ABV that still has some flavor to it. Then I thought the Nottingham might help accentuate the malt.

Input or thoughts?

4 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.33 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP039)

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.034 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.7 %
Bitterness: 36.9 IBUs
Est Color: 15.7 SRM

I wouldn't use Nottingham. Expected 3.7% means 4.1% actual, using Notty.

:p

I'd up the starting gravity and mash high, this way you'll still have the body you'll need. Otherwise you end up with a 'thin' beer.

You could try a dark mild but most people will go for it. I made an amazing WW2 porter ticking at 1.035 recently. Lots of brown malt for dextrins. As above, I'd change Notty (which I love) for something with more body like S04 or US05.

That's a 6.5 pound grainbill? I think that makes the chocolate malt at 8% by my quick math. That seems to be quite a lot to me. I don't use any chocolate malt in my ambers, but if I did I'd go with far less- I use 8% chocolate malt in my stout.

I used 1 ounce of midnight wheat in a hoppy red- in a 11 gallon batch- so you don't need much if you're using it for color. If you're using it for flavor, you'll get plenty of roast at 8%.

If you want a red color, 1 oz in the grainbill mixed with some dark and light crystal will give a red color without roastiness.

Thanks to all.

Yooper, the Amber is just a style I've picked that is closest to what I am trying to make, but the main goal is to brew a sub 4% with flavor. I though the chocolate would do that, and give it a little color as well. Really just an experiment to see what it would do.

Ignoring style, what do you think it would taste like? Or I could cut the chocolate and sub in something else that might add some flavor.

I'd switch the corn to oats or rye. Corn will thin the body which is the opposite of what you want in a small beer. Use a low attenuating and characterful yeast like 1968/002, windsor, s04, etc. Nottingham is very clean and attenuates too well for a small beer IMO.
Also, I think you're on track with the chocolate. A few percent adds a nice touch in small English beers.

For sub-4%, I would probably go with a sour if capable - perhaps a kettle-soured Gose.

Back