Style/Name opinions on a Wheat/Amber hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovietnam

Reaction score
So I punched my recipe into Brewer's friend and it matches the style for a Pale ale or an ESB, but the actaul batch looks like the SRM is closer to an Amber, maybe due to the haze from the wheat,but I used about 12% wheat and US-05 yeast, so not quite a wheat beer but not strictly a Pale or Amber. I am calling it Cloud Nebula Amber Wheat Ale, (because of the wheat cloudiness, haha) But am considering changing the name. What do you all think is the closest style that this fits?
Recipe:
6lbs extra light DME
1 lb Wheat(grain)
.5 lb crystal 60l
.5 lb carapils
1 oz Amarillo @ 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 15 min
2 oz Saaz @ Flameout
Safale US-05

Just tasted the hydrometer sample (at 1.012 now, OG was 1.049) and it tastes pretty close to an American wheat but a bit more bitter and hoppier aroma/taste. Or like a nice Pale Ale with a hint of wheat tang.
Really good though!

With just a lb of wheat I'd call that a pale ale, though you can call it whatever you want if you're not entering it in competition (did you do a mash?). Unusual combo of hops. Cloud nebulous maybe. ;)

It was a Partial Mash, the Wheat, Crystal 60l and Carapils were the grain I used, the rest of the fermentables being the 6lbs of Extra Light DME. I agree the hops are kinda all over the place (American/British/Czech) but they seem to work out well together. The hydrometer sample tasted like a less "wheaty" American style Wit, getting the orangey citrus flavor from the Amarillo instead of orange peel, and more body and malty sweetness from the crystal malt, and the mildness form the EKG and Saaz are just delicate enough to not overpower the other flavors.

I'm sure if I used any of the higher alpha Pacific Northwest hops for bittering and the same ones (Cascade, Nugget, Centennial, etc..) or Willamette for aroma/flavor they would have dominated the flavor profile and it would have been very much like a Pale Ale

Back