stupidly high mash temps. what happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaSaBiS

Reaction score
a few months back I made a (random what is laying around) pale ale with 2 row and a touch of caramel 60. This was my first and only extremely sloppy brew day. I was careless and dumped water in at a high enough temp that I waited 5 min and temp was around 180F. I kept stirring and waiting (instead of adding cold water like my sober self would have) and basically mashed for a half hour at 180 then finished it out at 160.

My logic would tell me that I would not extract fermentable sugars and there would be nothing to convert.

I knew I screwed this up so I let it rack for about 2 months.

half the batch I bottled, the other half is in a keg. I cracked a bottle open after two weeks and as I was trying to place the flavor I told my friend it tastes like an IPA without any hops backbone.

after staring at me with my confused look on my face he tried the beer and helped me realize I made a light beer! NOOO!!!

it is drinkable, and I do have the other half in a keg.

1) is the light body due to the mash temp
2) is the empty hop backbone due to too long of rack
3) do you think dry hoping this beer will make this batch salvageable...

1) is the light body due to the mash temp
2) is the empty hop backbone due to too long of rack
3) do you think dry hoping this beer will make this batch salvageable...

1. Well, only indirectly. Usually, higher mash temps create a more dextrinous ("thicker") wort and result in more body. However, the enzymes will denature at above 165 or so, so you probably didn't get much conversion at all of fermentable sugars. What you got, seems to have fermented.

2. I have no idea what "too long of rack" means, sorry! Usually it only takes about 15 minutes to rack a beer to another vessel.

3. If you can drink it, sure- why not?

2. I have no idea what "too long of rack" means, sorry! Usually it only takes about 15 minutes to rack a beer to another vessel.

Lol... Yooper took it easy... so many puns come to mind. I think he meant "let it sit in primary" for 2 months.

1. Well, only indirectly. Usually, higher mash temps create a more dextrinous ("thicker") wort and result in more body. However, the enzymes will denature at above 165 or so, so you probably didn't get much conversion at all of fermentable sugars. What you got, seems to have fermented.

Unfermentable sugars would result in a sweeter beer correct? Cause this stuff is not notably sweet. And too long in conditioning is what I ment. I was not referring to a stretched out sagging "long" rack. My carboys have that peppy perky 18 yr old type of rack.

Unfermentable sugars would result in a sweeter beer correct? Cause this stuff is not notably sweet. And too long in conditioning is what I ment. I was not referring to a stretched out sagging "long" rack. My carboys have that peppy perky 18 yr old type of rack.

Hahaha- you actually made me LOL. Thanks for that.

Normally yes, I'd expect some unfermentables resulting in a sweeter beer. But when I'm surmising here is that the temperature was so hot (beyond mash temps) that most of the enzymes got denatured long before you lowered the mash temp. So, the reason it's a "light beer" is because it had very little in the way of conversion- perhaps only an OG of 1.036, for example. That's just a guess, because who knows what the temperature was deep inside the mash- maybe it never hit 170 and you got more conversion that I am imaging.

Back