Stupid tv show water-cooler talk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
Seriously, I don't give a f*** what happened on The Bachelor last night. I don't have tv, I've told you this every time you ask me "Oh did you see Dancing with the Stars?", do you watch "I love New York?"

NO. Believe me, I am dim-witted enough as it is (at times), I don't need freaking reality tv draining away what is left of my mind or will to live. And the fact that you LOVE the trashiest shows and admit that you feed off their turmoil and dramatic emotions like some succubus just makes me not like you.

/rant

EDIT: And no, I'm not some tv snob that would only watch Discovery channel or National Geographic. I watch stupid tv shows too, they just mostly happen to be cartoons (Family Guy FTW).

I have a coworker here who constantly comes in and asks, "AW man, did you watch the motocross race last night? Stewart this and Stewart that". I rode bikes with him a couple years but have since sold mine. I never watched races, just rode on trails. Every time he asks, I say nope, didn't catch it.
So yesterday here he comes, "Aw man you watch the motocross race last night?". So I reply, "Every time you ask me that I say no, What makes you think i would have watched it last night?, He replies "oh, good point, whatever". Thank god, maybe he'll stop.
Thanks for starting this rant!

I agree; I am so tired of being asked what I thought about last night's American Idol and replying, for the 1,000th time, that I don't even have TV reception.

not that too many people around here talk about such inane garbage, but I hear what you're sayin.

That's what kills me - I work with people that are supposedly intelligent human beings and they eat this crap up! Of course, I guess it could also be generational. Most of the people that harass me with this stuff are <25 years old.

That's what kills me - I work with people that are supposedly intelligent human beings and they eat this crap up! Of course, I guess it could also be generational. Most of the people that harass me with this stuff are <25 years old.
Hey, I am 25 and haven't seen a brodcast TV show since I moved out of my parents house like 6 years ago. Whenever people try to talk to me about this stuff I just say "I'm going to stop you right there. I don't give a **** about this and neither should you...celebrity culture is retarted."

Sounds to me like people trying to make small talk to be friendly and getting blown off. Now, I understand if they ask you about a show and you tell them you don't watch it, and then a couple days later they ask you the same question, but this seems like such a minor thing to stress about.

Bah Humbug!

You just described my wife. The only things she watches are Gray's Anatomy, John and Kate Plus 8, and any reality show. That Brett Michaels one, the Bachelor, Run's House, The Hills.. you name it, odds are that she watches it.

Drives me freaking crazy. I can't stand those crappy shows.

I have people at work repeatedly ask me "Did you see the race over the weekend?". Everytime I tell them the same thing - "No, I prefer not to watch people drive cars around in circles for 3 hours", but they keep asking.

Sounds to me like people trying to make small talk to be friendly and getting blown off.
That's exactly what it is. Anyone who spends their evenings soaking that crap up has nothing in common with me and I don't wish to speak to them. Trust me, it's better for both of us in the long run that we establish that quickly, because they aren't going to be interested in anything I want to talk about either.

Thank god someone else hates this. My neighbor was talking with us at a party about something and somehow, much to my chagrin, the conversation shifted to American Idol. As I stared off into the distance, politely ignoring their little exchange, I suddenly realized that he could name off every finalist from the last four years. "Really?" I asked. "Oh, no problem, that's easy"

So the kicker?

I said "Oh well do you know who the secretary of state is?" [blank stare] "What about the name of your congressman?" [nothing]

He had no idea. But he COULD tell you who was the fourth runner up on American Idol four years ago.

Try the same thing sometime and see how quickly you lose whatever faith you had left in the general public.

Thank god someone else hates this. My neighbor was talking with us at a party about something and somehow, much to my chagrin, the conversation shifted to American Idol. As I stared off into the distance, politely ignoring their little exchange, I suddenly realized that he could name off every finalist from the last four years. "Really?" I asked. "Oh, no problem, that's easy"

So the kicker?

I said "Oh well do you know who the secretary of state is?" [blank stare] "What about the name of your congressman?" [nothing]

He had no idea. But he COULD tell you who was the fourth runner up on American Idol four years ago.

Try the same thing sometime and see how quickly you lose whatever faith you had left in the general public.

That is great!! and so true.

Now, I understand if they ask you about a show and you tell them you don't watch it, and then a couple days later they ask you the same question, but this seems like such a minor thing to stress about.

Ok, I'm not quite as harsh as Tonedef in my feelings about it, I don't write people off based on their tv choices. I can still chat with them about their weekend. I just don't want to hear about the latest 3-way drama in some stupid tv show that has absolutely no value or merit (in my mind).

I just can't stand it because SO much of this "celebrity culture" eats up peoples' minds and time. I don't have enough hours in the day that I am willing to waste any of it on something that exists only to provide some sort of voyeuristic amusement based on others' suffering/stupidity/emotional trauma.

(Note: all uses of the word you in this post are non-specific)

I watch Scrubs, House, Dexter, and pretty much anything on the Discovery channels. I'm always fairly amazed at the level of pomposity that is displayed by the crowd that "doesn't even own a TV".

Do you really think that people are less intelligent because they watch reality TV, or is it more likely that you're unfairly acting superior because you don't? Are the TV watchers allowed to look down on the video gamers? Can the gamers ridicule the trekkies? Can the trekkies do the same for the comic book nerds?

Sure, there's always going to be something that one group has that will make them feel superior to another, that's just human. But, for ****s sake, make it something worth feeling superior about!

<end rant>

:mug:

You just described my wife. The only things she watches are Gray's Anatomy, John and Kate Plus 8, and any reality show. That Brett Michaels one, the Bachelor, Run's House, The Hills.. you name it, odds are that she watches it.

Same here, but I don't mind John and Kate + 8. You can't compare that to the trashiness of the rest of those shows.

BUT, *sigh*, I have to admit, after telling my wife "WE ARE NOT WATCHING THIS CRAP", she knows that if she can get it left on for 3-5 minutes, I'll get sucked into it. I just cannot look away. It's such garbage and an embarrassment to mankind the way these "people" behave that you can't turn away.

I watch Scrubs, House, Dexter, and pretty much anything on the Discovery channels. I'm always fairly amazed at the level of pomposity that is displayed by the crowd that "doesn't even own a TV".

I only mention to people that I don't have tv because they stare at me like I'm nuts when I say I am not familiar with or haven't seen all the shows they want to discuss. It's not pomposity, it's finances. We watch episodes of The Daily Show and Family Guy on Hulu, but we can't afford tv (cable), so we don't watch anything that we don't REALLY want to see.

I just have a general distaste for the pathetic attention-grabbing premise of most of the reality tv shows, and the people I work with who eat it up.

EDIT: I have watched at least 2 episodes of The Biggest Loser at a friend's house, because to me, that show at least encourages healthy behavior (exercise and diet).

Hey, I am 25 and haven't seen a brodcast TV show since I moved out of my parents house like 6 years ago. Whenever people try to talk to me about this stuff I just say "I'm going to stop you right there. I don't give a **** about this and neither should you...celebrity culture is retarted."

Now that's Irony :D

I don't look down on anybody who soaks up the drivel that's on TV. Well, maybe a little. :p Seriously, how can one find entertainment in mascara-laden Bret Michaels trying to find a ho-bag wife/girlfriend. Please.

I'm amazed at the number of people who will begin a conversation by asking if I saw something on TV. What, you don't have an original idea with which to start a conversation, so you want to talk about somebody else's wholly unoriginal idea that passes for entertainment?

No thank you.

Do you really think that people are less intelligent because they watch reality TV, or is it more likely that you're unfairly acting superior because you don't? Are the TV watchers allowed to look down on the video gamers? Can the gamers ridicule the trekkies? Can the trekkies do the same for the comic book nerds?

Sure, there's always going to be something that one group has that will make them feel superior to another, that's just human. But, for ****s sake, make it something worth feeling superior about!

My wife's guilty pleasure is terrible TV. She loves nearly all "reality-based" TV. She loves to watch crappy old reruns of 90210 and terrible Lifetime movies. Does that make her unintelligent? No, she's very intelligent, but it's just a guilty pleasure of hers, like we have with beer. Not to mention, she works all day and does want her TV to mentally engage her, it is her stress relief.

I watch some sports on TV (Red Wings games) but that's about it. I guess I don't think of it as looking down on people who do watch TV, but in America TV has become a hobby as well as a babysitter for our children. I have no problem with people enjoying a few shows, but to have it on for hours on end each night for "entertainment" while you passively sit in front of it is incomprehensible to me.

Of course, I have no problem spending WAY too much time on the internet! :D

For anybody that hates all that reality TV, I suggest The Soup (on E!). It is basically the Daily Show but instead of politics, it s terrible TV

Of course, I have no problem spending WAY too much time on the internet! :D

Thank you, Yooper. I think you just gave me some perspective on my rant, whether you meant to or not. I get it! THIS place is my reality tv! :D But it's also my Food Network and National Geographic (whereby I observe the male species).

My wife's guilty pleasure is terrible TV. She loves nearly all "reality-based" TV. She loves to watch crappy old reruns of 90210 and terrible Lifetime movies. Does that make her unintelligent? No, she's very intelligent, but it's just a guilty pleasure of hers, like we have with beer. Not to mention, she works all day and does want her TV to mentally engage her, it is her stress relief.

Which, I suppose, is fine as long as she doesn't try to ruin anyone else's day by actually trying to talk to anyone about it. I mean, imagine! Trying to connect a little bit with someone by referencing a common past-time! The nerve!

In fairness, here are the things that you could expect a snotty answer from me if you try to converse about them:

• the weather
  • church
  • leftovers
  • cliche differences between men and women
  • your job
  • my job
  • retirement
  • that new japanese place on main st.
  • your wife's rag
  • your husband's girlfriend
  • mac vs. pc
  • linux
  • pygmy marmosets
  • what seinfeld is up to
  • the countdown to <celebrity's> 18th birthday
  • your mom's new cat
In fact, don't start a conversation with me unless it's about non-celebrity current events, science, philosophy, Shakespeare, or hot sauce. Anything else is clearly beneath me, and not worth the breath I spend telling you to **** off.

What really annoys me is when they treat the happenings on American Idol as a news story on TV and radio. If I cared what happened on the show, I'd have watched it.

Same sort of thing around my neck of the woods, but it's mostly sports stuff. I am not now, nor have I ever been interested in watching sports live or on TV. I know football, baseball, hockey, racing, etc... are bread and butter to most guys, but I'm just not a fan.

Hey man, did you catch the **** game last night?
No, I don't watch sports.
Oh, well so-and-so went out for this 40 yard pass...

What makes you think I care? "NO, I DON'T WATCH SPORTS." I would think that would be a pretty clear indicator for you to stop talking at me, and go find someone else who might be interested.

Same sort of thing around my neck of the woods, but it's mostly sports stuff. I am not now, nor have I ever been interested in watching sports live or on TV. I know football, baseball, hockey, racing, etc... are bread and butter to most guys, but I'm just not a fan.

Hey man, did you catch the **** game last night?
No, I don't watch sports.
Oh, well so-and-so went out for this 40 yard pass...

What makes you think I care? "NO, I DON'T WATCH SPORTS." I would think that would be a pretty clear indicator for you to stop talking at me, and go find someone else who might be interested.

We should hang out!

We have an anti Superbowl party every year. It's my wife and I and another couple. We drink and play board games/hang out with the game on mute in the background, and pause to watch the commercials or as this year, recorded the game, played wii and then I watched the commercials fast forwarding through the game a couple days later.

Although i do like watching X Games and Winter X
Those were the sports I was into in hgihschool along with soccer. Just never cared for the typical baseball, Basketball, or football.

• the weather
  • church
  • leftovers
  • cliche differences between men and women
  • your job
  • my job
  • retirement
  • that new japanese place on main st.
  • your wife's rag
  • your husband's girlfriend
  • mac vs. pc
  • linux
  • pygmy marmosets
  • what seinfeld is up to
  • the countdown to <celebrity's> 18th birthday
  • your mom's new cat

• Did you hear that Seinfeld got Hanna Montana a pygmy marmoset for her 18th birthday, but can't give it to her because his mom is on the rag? Speaking of which, what's the deal with women being from Venus and men being from Mars?

Seriously, I don't give a f*** what happened on The Bachelor last night. I don't have tv, I've told you this every time you ask me "Oh did you see Dancing with the Stars?", do you watch "I love New York?"

NO. Believe me, I am dim-witted enough as it is (at times), I don't need freaking reality tv draining away what is left of my mind or will to live. And the fact that you LOVE the trashiest shows and admit that you feed off their turmoil and dramatic emotions like some succubus just makes me not like you.

/rant

EDIT: And no, I'm not some tv snob that would only watch Discovery channel or National Geographic. I watch stupid tv shows too, they just mostly happen to be cartoons (Family Guy FTW).

Trash TV is nothing more than electronic crack.

<end rant>

:mug:
It has nothing to do with them watching it, they can watch it all they want. It's when celebrities are the only thing they think about and it consumes their minds. Enjoy your shows, play your video games...however you want to relax that is fine. It's when you don't even have your own personality because you are so wrapped up in these other peoples lives that I lose interest in you.

BTW, don't you clink your mug at me you damn TV watcher...I would never even dream of having a beer with someone who has a TV in their home
emot-colbert.gif

The problem arises when people try to force their interests down my throat. If I've told you (multiple times, even) in the past that I don't watch [insert name of show/game/etc., here], and you continue to try to talk to me about the happenings on that show/game/etc., I have a right to think that you don't listen and/or don't care about what I think and are just looking for an excuse to relive the show/game/etc. in your own mind. Why should I be subject to that, when we could move on to another, mutually interesting, topic of conversation? Or, ya know, there's always work to
be done.

NOTE: I'm not responding to anyone in particular with my use of "you." It is a non-particular "you." I really mostly mean my coworkers.

I watch plenty of stupid TV to unwind at the end of the night, but I gravitate towards things like Cops or "World's Most Retarded Criminals Being Attacked By Pets Caught On Camera 2". Remember that video of the kid doing the kegstand who fell on his face from a few months back? Stuff like that.

Can't watch competition-type reality shows other that Top Chef and I've recently REALLY been into Last Restaurant Standing on BBC. The drivel that's all over the networks? **** that ****, it's disgusting.

Oh, and I also tend to flip between things like Cops and Bloomberg TV, so no cracks about my damn intelligence for watching crap-TV!

Oh, and I also tend to flip between things like Cops and Bloomberg TV, so no cracks about my damn intelligence for watching crap-TV!

Bloomberg? Don't you know that stuff will seriously rot your brain? I mean, ruining a perfectly good program like cops with Bloomberg TV. What are you, too good to watch a midget with no shirt on, get pulled down from a lamp post? What's wrong with you? :D

Drives me freaking crazy. I can't stand those crappy shows.

I have people at work repeatedly ask me "Did you see the race over the weekend?". Everytime I tell them the same thing - "No, I prefer not to watch people drive cars around in circles for 3 hours", but they keep asking.

My wife is another die hard reality TV junkie. Luckily I don't get any of it at work. The only time I've been asked if I say a TV show was "did you see the debates?" or "did you see the speech?". If someone mentions a reality TV show its usually a rant similar to this one.

Craig

I just can't stand it because SO much of this "celebrity culture" eats up peoples' minds and time. I don't have enough hours in the day that I am willing to waste any of it on something that exists only to provide some sort of voyeuristic amusement based on others' suffering/stupidity/emotional trauma.

You and me both. I don't understand the celebrity culture at all. I could not possibly care less about it. But at the same time, I am a baseball nut, I watch hundreds of baseball games a year. I am sure there are a lot of people out there that would see that as a huge waste of time. I could tell you the 25 man rosters of every team in the division but not tell you much about who is in congress...point being, different strokes for different folks. If you are around the water cooler and someone is trying to make small talk with you, it i just small talk, they are not trying to be dicks.

"No... I don't care about American Idol. I can't BELIEVE you'd watch drivel like that. Jeez. Oh, but did you see who's been discovered to be a Cylon last week on Battlestar Galactica!?!?!?"

When people talk to you about the bachelor or american idol or top model or whatever other horrible ****ed-up mind-numbing trash they are watching, just give them a blank look with a little worry.

Look at them like they're talking about some weird alien planet and don't say a word. When they demand an answer from you (some won't, others do) just continue that look, a little more stressed, and reply "that sounds absolutely terrible. why do you put yourself through it?"

Most people won't talk to you about it again. Most won't even talk to you about it if you just give them the blank look. You shouldn't have to fake the blank look, either. It should come perfectly natural when people are talking about this crap.

"No... I don't care about American Idol. I can't BELIEVE you'd watch drivel like that. Jeez. Oh, but did you see who's been discovered to be a Cylon last week on Battlestar Galactica!?!?!?"

Don't even START about that ****. the_Wife's been obsessed with that show lately, she's downloaded all the episodes and is trying to cram them in before the final episode airs in a couple weeks. Not happy, am I.

Back