Stupid questions that don't all deserve a thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a few questions, but didn't feel like starting a new thread for each one because they are all very minor. So minor in fact that I almost feel stupid asking them. But nevertheless, I am going to anyway 😂

1) Currently I brew in plastic buckets. I have been looking at upgrades here and there. I dig the idea of a minor upgrade to a Big Mouth Bubbler or a Speidel with a spigot so i can ditch the auto siphon. But I already own a bottling bucking with a hole for a spigot. Is there any reason that I can't just use that? Basically my question is about the placement of the spigot on the bottling bucket and if I will get any trub when transferring to keg.

2) My one corny keg is leaving black stuff all over when i touch it. I have read past threads on maybe cleaning and then using shoe polish to help with that. Just seeing if there have been any other breakthroughs since some of those threads were a little dated.

3) As i said previously, I am think of upgrading my fermenter. But other than not needing to auto siphon, I don't really see a benefit to switching from buckets unless I really upgraded to a conical or something that i can make closed transfers and dry hop additions without opening the lid. What am i missing?

1 - Sure you could use a bottling bucket. I am not sure the distance from the bottom of the bucket to the bottom of the opening of the spigot... I have a big mouth bubbler i could measure for you in a couple hours if no one else gives you an answer there.

2 - The black stuff sucks.

3 - Depending what you upgrade to you can purchase some extras to be able to cold crash and do closed transfers. These have been huge upgrades for me.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

yeah the black stuff sucks, especially when you bring home some filthy kegs and clean them in the bathtub! No remedy from me unfortunately.

Your bottling bucket would be perfectly fine but that little plastic valve needs to be kept clean! I have had mold and debris in that valve before, they collect trash and water.

For me, the stainless conical is my next upgrade: (1) yeast harvesting & dumping trub, (2) ease of cleaning and eliminating staining/aroma that plastic gets, (3) longevity, (4) sample ports, (5) pressure fermentation potential, (6) easy closed transfers, and (7) temperature control potential. There is also resale value to consider when looking at cost.

I'll probably do all of the above making it more suitable for me. It all depends on what you want out of your fermenter and your budget.. Ill be saving for quite a while before I can purchase.

Go Wings!

For the black stuff I got a few of those:
20210323_143143.jpg

1) It's going to depend on how much trub you have and where exactly the spigot is located on your bottling bucket. But for sure you can use that.

2) Can't help here. I have 2 kegs that do this.

3) Ferment in your kegs man!!

I have been using some PET Fermonsters for over 2 years and I really enjoy them. I have a pair of 3 gallons fermenters and a 7 gallon fermenter, all with spigots. Are they a massive upgrade over a bucket? Maybe not, but they don't cost much more either.

I enjoy the visibility that a clear fermenter provides. The lids on the Fermonster make it easy for dry hopping (I just take off the #10 stopper and drop in the hops that way) and people have added all types of upgrades to the solid lid (like ball valves...there is a thread around here on that). I do closed keg transfers with my setup using the standard lid. I think there is less oxygen exchange through the wall of a PET fermenter than a bucket.

As far as using your bottling bucket...is it the same size as your fermenter bucket? Often kits have a larger fermenter. You could also easily add a spigot to your fermenter bucket.

I have been using some PET Fermonsters for over 2 years and I really enjoy them. I have a pair of 3 gallons fermenters and a 7 gallon fermenter, all with spigots. Are they a massive upgrade over a bucket? Maybe not, but they don't cost much more either.

I enjoy the visibility that a clear fermenter provides. The lids on the Fermonster make it easy for dry hopping (I just take off the #10 stopper and drop in the hops that way) and people have added all types of upgrades to the solid lid (like ball valves...there is a thread around here on that). I do closed keg transfers with my setup using the standard lid. I think there is less oxygen exchange through the wall of a PET fermenter than a bucket.

As far as using your bottling bucket...is it the same size as your fermenter bucket? Often kits have a larger fermenter. You could also easily add a spigot to your fermenter bucket.

Yes it looks exactly like my fermenter bucket other than the hole for the spigot. My only concern is getting that cheap plastic spigot to seal perfectly during fermentation. I remember having just a bit of a leak when I used to bottle. But man, I would love to never touch the auto siphon again. Less things to clean is always better LOL.
I guess since i need to sanitize anyway, i can fill with Star San and make sure it is leak free before pouring in the wort.

1) It's going to depend on how much trub you have and where exactly the spigot is located on your bottling bucket. But for sure you can use that.

2) Can't help here. I have 2 kegs that do this.

3) Ferment in your kegs man!!

I need to do some research on this. I think this is where I want to end up. When fermenting in kegs, do you transfer to a different keg after fermentation? And wont the trub end up right at the bottom and be the first thing to come out when transferring?

I need to do some research on this. I think this is where I want to end up. When fermenting in kegs, do you transfer to a different keg after fermentation? And wont the trub end up right at the bottom and be the first thing to come out when transferring?
I do transfer to different kegs but I use floating dip tubes and that helps a lot. When I want to harvest yeast I'll use a regular diptube and a picnic tap and purge into a sanitized jar. Once it pours clear i switch to my jumper.

floating diptubes in serving kegs helps a lot too as anything that did transfer over will fall to the bottom of the keg when cold.

Back