Stupid Lessons Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkdust41485

This is no hobby....
Reaction score
So, I just wanted to share my recent stupid lesson learned/"I'll never do that again" moment and wanted to see if anyone else has some valuable information to share to help other brewers out.

So, my stupid lesson learned came from my excessive need/love for smelling the fermentation fragrances.

I brewed up my first self-made recipe of Oatmeal Stout on Sunday and by Monday the air lock was just happily bubbling away. This was also my first fermentation in my recently purchased Holiday 5.0 cu. ft. freezer and Johnson temperature controller (which is working beautifully). Well, one of the times checking on the progress of the fermentation, I opened the lid and dunked my head into the freezer and took a big whiff to see what wonderful scents were coming from the bubbling air lock. Here's my Homer Simpson's D'OH moment: CO2 is heavier than air and since that is what's being generated by my fermentation AND that my freezer lid was shut keeping all of the CO2 inside, all I got was a big whiff of CO2, which BURNS! It grabbed my throat and "Three Stooge'd" my eyes... Not the brightest moment in my life and I know to never do that again, except to tell someone to do it that I don't really care about...

Anyone ever done the same thing or something similar?

If this thread should be moved to a different area, then please put it in the right area.

Yeah, I call it fun with CO2. I've done what you mention plus that first time keg error. I cleaned/purged my first keg with CO2 then popped the lid off and stuck my face in it. Ohhhh coool there's fog, blow in keg, naturally inhales after blowing in keg (face still right in opening), damn near pass out.

Hey chalkdust if you want to smell your fermentation do what I do and put a cup on the airlock. Then, anytime you want to enjoy the aroma just smell the inside of the cup! :mug:
IMG00475-20111226-2306.jpg

My quad Belgium was happily fermenting away, as I opened the lid to take a sample I stuck my head in to smell the sweet success. I almost went unconscious.

Haha!! I actually invite people to smell my chamber just for morbid kicks... and sometimes take video ;)

I found out I'm not supposed to use softened water to make beer... doh! It's already in primary. Hopefully it doesn't taste like crap, because I'm not dumping it out now.

funny story :)
I feel my airlocks with starsan solution and it has rather strong smell (bananis/frutish for me) by it self so i never know if im smelling yeast farts or just starsan

I feel my airlocks with starsan solution and it has rather strong smell (bananis/frutish for me) by it self so i never know if im smelling yeast farts or just starsan

I can't say I've ever noticed a specific smell associated with starsan.. My airlocks are full of starsan, too. All I ever notice is the beer smell from my cups (which I call aroma traps.. haha)!

Your starsan smells fruity? That is odd. I've heard of sulfur smells (depending on condition of the water it is mixed with) but not fruity. I've never noticed any smell myself but I always mix it with filtered or bottled water.

As to yeast farts... that is hit or miss. Some smell awesome and others will clear the house, lol. You never know if it is a good or bad thing until it is done and you can taste the results. :p

Stauffbier said:
Hey chalkdust if you want to smell your fermentation do what I do and put a cup on the airlock. Then, anytime you want to enjoy the aroma just smell the inside of the cup! :mug:

Hey, yeah... I'll have to try that out!

Yeah, yeast farts / "rhino farts"... I had my experience with those on my last batch. It was a half batch of a "light-ish" pale ale. I used dry Notty. It smelled so bad, like sulfer and rotten eggs. My SWMBO didn't even want to go in the guest room. (It was fermenting in the guest room closet) But, that was before I had my fermentation freezer and I think it got a little warm while fermenting. I read that Notty can do that if it ferments warm. but the beer came out great!

I have burned my nose with CO2 once or twice. Good indication there is fermentation anyway.

It's not as bad as taking a big sniff of steam coming from the pot of corn on the cob. When I was newly married I did just that. Burned my nasal passages. I had an awesome steak dinner cooking and got to enjoy it with tissue paper shoved up my nose.

Latest posts

Back